Bad talk about the XR650R

113 replies to this topic
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted August 24, 2005 - 10:07 AM

face it, hte 650 r is a piece of junk. l's rule

• jwriott

Posted August 24, 2005 - 11:27 AM

Honda will start racing the new CRF600 in Baja within a year.
The first prototypes are now being tweaked in japan. Sorry-cant reveal sources...

Target is:
262 lbs
61 hp
ebutton
$7600

it will come in a motard version as well as dirt. The motard can be converted to dual sport with some new tires.

Are you sure about this? They'd sell a ton of those things.

• BWB63

Posted August 24, 2005 - 11:51 AM

face it, hte 650 r is a piece of junk. l's rule

Go replace the O-rings on your rocker arm shafts and stop that oil leak :D

• DRZ_Motorsports_119

Posted August 24, 2005 - 11:58 AM

I have a huge dilema hear about the XR650R.....I need the advise of you guys...

-first. in the couple of months (maybe october) i will be buying a brand new 2006 XR650R via credit, because i don't have 3000 dlls and more to buy a use one, and for me that im going to university it's better to pay a bike in the long run that in cash, because of school, traveling and all that stuff..

Mom and Dad said yes, school and work are going great so im just waiting for the right time to buy mi 650R...

-second. I currently own a 600R with a lot of goodies but my 600R (1992) it's to old and too many miles on it so need to sell fast. I need a low maintence bike that mostly will be run in Baja and the 650R fit's my budget best in parts and maintence, has i plan to race 2 -3 races a year in the local series CODE and plan to ride it a lot.

-What should i do wait for the CRF600X, but with all the talk on the 250x and 450x i don't plan on buying that bike in the firts year..

-Should a change Red for Orange??? but are they that expensive in maintence, racing and reliable... would love the 525XC..

-DRZ400 and the WR450F are great.......

Any advise

DRZ Motorsports 119

• TimBrp

Posted August 24, 2005 - 12:00 PM

Get the 650R. It is king of baja. Low maintenance w/out many problems. KTM=Keep the Manual. Go red.

• BWB63

Posted August 24, 2005 - 12:07 PM

I have a huge dilema hear about the XR650R.....I need the advise of you guys...

-first. in the couple of months (maybe october) i will be buying a brand new 2006 XR650R via credit, because i don't have 3000 dlls and more to buy a use one, and for me that im going to university it's better to pay a bike in the long run that in cash, because of school, traveling and all that stuff..

Mom and Dad said yes, school and work are going great so im just waiting for the right time to buy mi 650R...

-second. I currently own a 600R with a lot of goodies but my 600R (1992) it's to old and too many miles on it so need to sell fast. I need a low maintence bike that mostly will be run in Baja and the 650R fit's my budget best in parts and maintence, has i plan to race 2 -3 races a year in the local series CODE and plan to ride it a lot.

-What should i do wait for the CRF600X, but with all the talk on the 250x and 450x i don't plan on buying that bike in the firts year..

-Should a change Red for Orange??? but are they that expensive in maintence, racing and reliable... would love the 525XC..

-DRZ400 and the WR450F are great.......

Any advise

DRZ Motorsports 119

If you buy a XR650R New Buy an 2004. All the bikes from 2002 and up are the same except for graffix'. Here in Southern California you can buy a 2004 XR650R for $4,990 OUT THE DOOR! but, a 2006 will cost you $6,200 OTD and they are the same bike. You have to know where to buy and how to buy. Those are what they should go for. :D

• PowerCell

Posted August 24, 2005 - 12:26 PM

Hey Irondude -

You seem to like the weird sh!t... I think you'll like this... http://www.jbsracing.co.uk/

1) Billet crank! :D
2) No "frisbee" counter balancer! :D
3) 3-ring long skirt piston! :D
4) 9.5:1 compression! :eek:
5) 78hp! :eek:

• huntmaster

Posted August 24, 2005 - 12:29 PM

It comes down to how much you want to spend as well as what you are looking for in a machine. A new Euro thumper or next generation 600 X will no doubt perform great and will be newer and tricker then a current 650R...but you won't get one for under $5 k out the door either!

For any performance/weight advantage you might gain you can also possibly expect to loose a degree of reliability, durability and ease of maintenance too! Both my current 650R and previous 600R had five years of regular and sometimes extreme use (just adding gas and a few oil changes and wear items) trail riding, ice-racing, Baja and Nevada trips even.
There are very few bikes that bring together it's combination of performance AND durability. Personally, I've parked any ideas about late model MX-based 450's etc., hoping that the next generation 600X might be one of them.

In the couple of months (maybe october) i will be buying a brand new 2006 XR650R via credit, because i don't have 3000 dlls and more to buy a use one, and for me that im going to university it's better to pay a bike in the long run that in cash, because of school, traveling and all that stuff..

• captb

Posted August 24, 2005 - 12:49 PM

There are times I wish XR650R was lighter, but I forget all about that when crossing the desert at 100+ mph, blasting down a wash or on a 100 mile trip cruising 80 mph on the freeway to get to a new riding area, and just as the other big XRs I've owned since 1986 they allways got me back from nomans land. As for a new one with electric start, they can keep the batteries, starters, wiring, selenoids, rr, safety switches. I don't want or need all that extra shit on a dirt bike. 650R Value for the money unbeatable period. People can talk about some other bikes not even in the same catagory, but check out some of the replacement part and plastic prices there proud of there shit, and you won't find much on Ebay for some of the others.

• oldturtle

Posted August 24, 2005 - 01:41 PM

Motorick. Thanks for some intelligence to an otherwise mainly off track group of opinions. I love the fact that my dirt bikes do not become obsolete one year after I bring them home. That is except for an 03 KTM 250EXC 2St that I cannot sell for half the purchase price. I applaud Honda for normally getting things right the first time in the off road market.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted August 24, 2005 - 02:09 PM

There are times I wish XR650R was lighter, but I forget all about that when crossing the desert at 100+ mph, blasting down a wash or on a 100 mile trip cruising 80 mph on the freeway to get to a new riding area, and just as the other big XRs I've owned since 1986 they allways got me back from nomans land. As for a new one with electric start, they can keep the batteries, starters, wiring, selenoids, rr, safety switches. I don't want or need all that extra shit on a dirt bike. 650R Value for the money unbeatable period. People can talk about some other bikes not even in the same catagory, but check out some of the replacement part and plastic prices there proud of there shit, and you won't find much on Ebay for some of the others.

Wow, that almost sounds like a XR600 or XL650L rider :D

"I don't need that aluminum frame, the radiators, the fancy duel oil pump or who needs that much Horsepower anyways?"

But, it won't be long and I think you will also buy what ever "New" X"R"acing Machine they come out with and like me you'll hold on to the old XR650R for a while till it proves it's self worthy. After all you did buy this "Baja Winning Machine" and are doing balls to the walls across the desert, what makes you think you are going to let someone on a new XR pass you? I am in as long as it's still the reliable XR we have come to know and love! :D

• huntmaster

Posted August 24, 2005 - 02:35 PM

Gee, that's one horsepower less then Honda's claim for the current 650R!
Or is that a rear wheel figure...in which case we can go roadracing nevermind Motard!

Target is:
262 lbs
61 hp
ebutton
$7600

• jwriott

Posted August 24, 2005 - 02:53 PM

All the bikes from 2002 and up are the same except for graffix'. :D

What differences occured in 2002?

• JackAttack

Posted August 24, 2005 - 03:54 PM

What differences occured in 2002?

Upgrade of clutch bushing. Upgrade of countershaft seal. Thicker engine cases.

BNG's

:D

• RingKingPin

Posted August 24, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Thicker engine cases? I didn't know about that! The entire case or just the side covers. I've never heard this one before and would be suprised if it's true. I never heard of any problems with the cases and it would cost a lot of money for Honda to retool for that. Please tell me more. :D

• jwriott

Posted August 24, 2005 - 06:25 PM

Okay, I knew about the clutch bushing and countershaft seal. Not the thicker cases. If I look for a used one as a buddy bike, I'll try to go 2002 or newer. :D

• RingKingPin

Posted August 25, 2005 - 04:42 AM

Okay, I knew about the clutch bushing and countershaft seal. Not the thicker cases. If I look for a used one as a buddy bike, I'll try to go 2002 or newer. :D

I'd confirm that thicker case thing. I've never heard of it. BWB, what do you know?

Geoff

• Husky_Forever

Posted August 25, 2005 - 08:08 AM

The part I liked about my PIG was the 3 year warranty program you could buy for it. A dirt bike with a long, wheel to wheel warranty? That was great. The mileage was great. 5th gear was great for long roads and sand washes.

The part I didn't like about my PIG was the right foot peg breaking in the middle of no where while I was going over a slight jump on my second ride. Or the part about where I installed the SRC shim and bolt to keep this from happening. And checked it before each riding day for tightness. Or the fact the crash resulted in me breaking my left wrist and being off work for 10 months. And the worst part...

Was having American Honda in Los Angeles tell me over the phone, that I was the first person to ever report having the footpeg break ( October 03). (Never mind I was told by almost every Honda PIG owner I knew afterwards that they all break and everyone keeps a Helli coil and Grade eight replacement bolt in their fanny paks for that reason.)

And that since I was the first person to ever report it, it couldn't be a wide spread problem. I fixed the peg and sold the PIG. Can't ride a bike where I'm thinking the peg might break again. I ride an 95 KLX 650 dual sport (XR 650 Proto Type bike I'm sure) that has never broken down (2500+ miles) and an 04 Husky TC 450 that is working out to be a great fire road and Baja bike and very easy to work on (read check valve clearance).

I loved my PIG until the peg thing. I wish the dealer had mentioned it though before I bought it. I would have probably bought an XR 400 instead. :D Steny

• qadsan

Posted August 25, 2005 - 09:26 AM

Steny,

Did you ever file a formal report with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) so Honda would be accountable for this? Has anybody here ever filed a report about this issue with the NHTSA so that more light would be given to this problem?

I'm guessing the foot peg fix that Precision Concepts offers wasn't available when you broke yours off, but that would have solved your issue once and for all. The foot peg shims sold through SRC are a waste of money and do not fix this issue in my opinion.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 25, 2005 - 09:43 AM

Go replace the O-rings on your rocker arm shafts and stop that oil leak :D

ooh shut up

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.