master link

8 replies to this topic
  • drewpeacock

Posted November 28, 2004 - 02:36 PM

I was just doing a little maintence and noticed the slide part of the master link is wore down to paper thin. I put a new o-ring chain when the bike was new.I only have 270 miles on it now. Does the chain guide do this? It is the only thing that i can see that touches it. Anybody ever had this problem? thanks

• BEAN329

Posted November 28, 2004 - 06:03 PM

It's a routine thing, keep an eye on it and buy some spare links. :cry:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted November 28, 2004 - 08:42 PM

Yes, its the chain guide that wears is down. You caught it early enough. :cry:

• dkwok

Posted November 29, 2004 - 06:13 AM

my is a little loose,
should i change it too?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted November 29, 2004 - 08:04 AM

my is a little loose,
should i change it too?

It should be snug. Thye say not to even reuse the clips, but those are for those who cant tell good from bad I guess. I avoid reusing any clip, but will sometimes. If the clip is lose, discard it and replace the entire link IMHO. A Chain bailing out can create spendy repairs and a long push back to the truck or a awful spill. If it snaps under load, bunches up in the case, crack the engine housing or just come off and make for a long push back. Or come off and knot up in the rear wheel locking the rear tire up into a skid... visualize this at about 60 MPH headed into a turn... :cry:

• captain_S

Posted November 29, 2004 - 12:05 PM

If you only done 270 miles with a new chain and the split link is that badly worn,then you may want to replace the chain guide at the rear sprocket and/or the slider on top of the swing arm?,was the bike brand new when you bought it?,if so then make sure you clean the rear chain guide real good when you wash the bike(no stuff stuck in there!)also as a rule when you fit a new sprocket/sprockets but do not fit a new chain,a new split link should be fitted! :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted November 29, 2004 - 12:53 PM

In addition to what Captian_S said, you might want to check the alignment of your rear wheel while you're at it.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 29, 2004 - 01:21 PM

I have a TM designs chain slider and rear sprocket guide block. The stock guides and these units wears the master clip very thin. I recommend replacing the clip but not the master every 1000 miles or so. I keep a spare master with me on trail rides for this very reason. :cry:

• drewpeacock

Posted November 30, 2004 - 05:59 PM

Thanks guys. The alignment seems to be good. I put another clip in. If the same thing happens I'll go to the after market chain guide and block. I had a four hour race in deeeep mud and hope thats what caused this. There's other mods I'd rather spend money on. thanks again...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.