Hard starting (sometimes) 426

22 replies to this topic
  • Satch0922

Posted December 06, 2004 - 07:14 AM

It could. There is a weep hole on the right side (kick side) of the cylinder. Use a wire to run up in the weep hole to clean it out. Water collecting around the top of the plug is not a good thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thomas_Potter

Posted December 06, 2004 - 06:00 PM

I was thinking about this today and realized that if enough water collects there, and if it reached the bottom of the spark plug wire boot, then capillary action could carry the water all the way up to the top to the plug wire contact creating a short direct to the head.

A good test then would be to put the old plug back in now that it has been running again and see if it starts up with the old plug now.

• RJB

Posted December 06, 2004 - 08:29 PM

Bottom line is, I have finally got a new plug in the thing, and it started just fine.

I did notice though that when I blew air into the hole where the plug goes (before removing the plug) a little water came out of the drain hole in the cylinder. When I removed the plug, there was still a little water surrounding the threads as I looked closely at it. Would water surrounding the base of the plug after the wash cause the starting issue?

...and a tip I picked up somewhere here is to use a golf tee to plug that hole to prevent water entering when washing

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.