05 vs 04 WR450F

3 replies to this topic
  • Titanium Fink

Posted November 28, 2004 - 11:05 AM

Does anyone know how the 05 compares to the 04 as far as performance and handling ?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 28, 2004 - 11:37 AM

Uh Oh...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • las_vegas_thumper

Posted November 28, 2004 - 07:33 PM

Haven't been on an '04, but I picked up my '05 a couple days ago. 25 miles so far, so still breaking it in. I know I need to do the free mods (throttle stop, grey wire, etc). Biggest dissapointment is the sound/power. They have taken all of that hot air (exhaust) and forced it through a little 3/4" hole at the back of the bike! This thing needs to breathe and I can feel it. From a couple other posts, once the free mods are done it really turns into a 'mr hyde' :cry: . Looking into an exhaust system and will probably go with Dr. D.

• brsmith

Posted November 29, 2004 - 08:51 AM

I rode my new 05 450 wr for the first time yesterday...Before it left the garage I did the following...
removed the air pump... capped with automotive type rubber caps..
uncorked the exhaust...
JD jet kit...170 mj..blue needle 3 clip down..fuel screw 1-3/4 out..
removed overflow bottle and ran over flow hose down in the front..
replaced wr rear fender with a 2.6 pound less weight yz fender...
removed odometer..and cable...
removed air box plug..
removed approx 8lbs of bull s*#@t yamaha think a race bike needs..It doesn't.
installed cycra pro bend hand guards...
installed heavy tubes, and m12 up front, s12 michelin on rear..
installed a hour meter to keep track of time for oil changes..
It does not have the hit of my old 2001 426yz, but sometimes less is more.. I rode all woods on Sunday, very slick from the rain we have had here in Missouri. The bike was a little stiff(from being new) but it worked fairly well..Need more time to get the forks and shock broke in..I am happy with my new ride... :cry:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.