help needed please

16 replies to this topic
  • alfie

Posted November 28, 2004 - 06:01 AM

Im running my 01 wr 400 on fully synth putoline engine oil and at the moment im changing the oil every ride. and cleaning the oil filter every second ride and replace the filter every 5th oil change. Do you guys think this is over kill or not?. And im just about to fit a magnetic drain plug im also pretty new to blue as ive only had mine for about six weeks so any help is appreciated.

• ETP

Posted November 28, 2004 - 06:55 AM

When my key broke, the bike sputtered and backfired like crazy when trying to electric start.
Pull the side case and check it out.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 28, 2004 - 07:22 AM

In 2001 WRs were 426's, you might be incorrect on what year you have or what size motor you have. Regarless, I think changing the oil "every" ride IS overkill... I think a good rule of thumb is to change the oil every few hundred miles or so. It's true, you can never really change the oil too much but I think you're creating more work and spending more money than you need to. I used to clean my oil filters out and re-use them just to save a little cash.

good luck, Dan

• alfie

Posted November 28, 2004 - 08:12 AM

Do you think id be better staying with the brass oil filter or going to the newer type papper oil filter. :cry:

• banffboy

Posted November 28, 2004 - 08:37 AM

Alfie, stick with what Dan said. I change my oil every 7-10 hrs(about 3 rides sometimes 4). I just clean my oil filter in a solvent and re-use it, no need for the disposable paper ones

• alfie

Posted November 28, 2004 - 08:44 AM

Cheers guys thanks for your help

• 5valve

Posted November 29, 2004 - 02:50 AM

dan, WR400's were made up to the 02..prolongued production for some markets because of the 400 race class

about oil change, i do mine every 625 miles, regardless the terrain, tranny still working as with new oil (soft) and oil consumption from max reaching to the middle point
use ELF 10W-50 sint oil

• RichBaker

Posted November 29, 2004 - 05:10 PM

I'd call it overkill. I'm running full synth and change it around 1k miles....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted November 29, 2004 - 07:07 PM

When my key broke, the bike sputtered and backfired like crazy when trying to electric start.
Pull the side case and check it out.

Don't know how this got on the wrong thread. Can't figure out how to edit it either.

While I'm here,

I change oil every 500 miles. It would be more often if I raced motocross.
I also check the oil color. If it starts to look tarnished on the level stick before 500 miles, its time.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 29, 2004 - 07:22 PM

i don't know about overkill but after a weekend thrash my oil looks just that ,thrashed. i change mine every week!! i don't know if any of you that call it overkill have priced a new motor, don't forget this same oil also lubes the trannie. :cry:

• 5valve

Posted November 29, 2004 - 11:42 PM

which oil do you use? grade, manufacturer

• ncmountainman

Posted November 30, 2004 - 07:14 AM

i use chevron delo 4oo (deisel oil) and 2 ounces of two2cool . clean the filter every 3rd change.

• SXP

Posted November 30, 2004 - 07:24 AM

i use chevron delo 4oo (deisel oil) and 2 ounces of two2cool . clean the filter every 3rd change.

Second that - or Shell Rotella 10W40, whichever is on sale or readily available.

• firezwr426

Posted November 30, 2004 - 07:59 AM

I run synthetic and change mine about 2-3 times per riding season...once every ride is overkill...as long as your oil stays a nice golden brown your ok....if your oil ever looks dirty or tarnished change it...i highly reccomend that you run synthitic (after break in, never during), and I would get it from a dirtbike shop. don't just go to autozone and get oil. :cry: get oil that is specifically designed for dirt bikes because of oil bath clutch additives.(some types of oil will smoke your clutch).. I like the stainless steel reusable filters they work great and a magnetic drain plug is worth having..as for the air filter, I clean mine every couple of rides, depending on the dust factor ..also check your valves once a year as well as your cam chain....preventitive maintanace pays for itself over and over again..... keep up on this stuff and you should be roosting for years to come.. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 30, 2004 - 08:42 AM

golden brown? i don't think mines golden after the first hour!! these bikes are tough on oil if ridden hard,and thats the only way i know how. most of the crap comes from the clutch. :cry: and i have used mobil 1 redcap but the delo seems to keep its viscosity longer.

• crazyYammi

Posted November 30, 2004 - 09:51 AM

Alfie, you dont say much about how hard you ride. If you are a intense rider and you are in sand and or mud, you probably arent far off. If you are dual sporting the thing or just trailride than its overkill.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 30, 2004 - 10:35 AM

I beg to differ. The WRs need relentless oil changing! I change mine after every weekend of riding. The 1.2 quarts is black after a few hours of riding. Must come from the clutch like NCMountainman says. You can get away with changing the oil filter once a month. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.