04 YZ450 how many links???

4 replies to this topic
  • condog_aus

Posted November 27, 2004 - 10:48 PM

Ordering new replacement chain for my YZ450 how many links does the stocker have. The bikes not hear yet thats why I cant go out to garage and count.

• Scooter426

Posted November 28, 2004 - 06:38 AM

I just put one on the other day on my O4 yz450 and I bought a 120 link and I shortened it by 6 links. Soooo, the final answer is 114 links. I have a 50T rear and 14T front sprocket. I HIGHLY recommend a rivet type master link (to save your cases....). These bikes are just too powerful to trust a standard clip.

FYI, I put an RK 520 Gold X-ring. It is their top of the line chain. My last one lasted a season. I also use Ironman Stainless sprockets. Six times the lifetime of an alum sprocket on these bikes and still no wear. (on my 426)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2004 - 11:24 AM

I HIGHLY recommend a rivet type master link (to save your cases....). These bikes are just too powerful to trust a standard clip.

This is another thing Ilike about the Regina Gold O-ring chain. Their master link fits together tightly enough that the plate must be pressed onto the pins with some type of clamping/pressing tool. I use a modified Motion Pro chain breaker for this. The master link is very secure. I can also tell you that if properly installed, you will not lose the clip. It's never happened to me.

• condog_aus

Posted November 28, 2004 - 12:26 PM

I checked out the tensile strengths on rockymountainmc.com

Regina ORN 520 O Ring is 7060lbs tensile strength
RK 520 X ring Gold is 8500lbs
DID 520 X ring is 8120lbs

These chains have such huge tensile strengths the different wear qualities has to be related to three main variable
1. Sprocket Quality
2. Riding Conditions
3. Plasticity of the metal

Given the metal plasticity would be fairly close and im going to run the stock sprockets, that makes the local riding conditions my main variable and hence im going with the RK Gold X-Ring which blokes here on KTM520 and 525's have been getting over 10000km problem free.

Thanks for the 114 links. :cry: :cry: :cry:

• mx_crash

Posted December 02, 2004 - 05:15 AM

I got 32hrs (3months riding) with the std sprockets and a did x-ring. So I just ordered an Ironman front and rear. This chain used to last 100hrs on my 2 smoke but these things are hard on chain and sprockets

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.