Spedometer removal?

6 replies to this topic
  • simch

Posted November 27, 2004 - 05:08 AM

I ahve an 04 UK spec wr450 that came with all the yamaha road legal kit from new. I have got a trailtech to fit instead of the stock speedometer. Anyone done this or replaced this speedo? There does not appearto be multiplugs for all the wiring to the speedo, (for lights, turn signal indicators etc), and the speedo appears to be "hard wired" into the loom? Before I snip the wires, does anyone know where the "ends are"? They seem to go it the main loom running down the left side of the bike?

Any help greatly appreciated as always! :cry:

• Math

Posted November 27, 2004 - 07:36 AM

Did not know WRs came with speedos in UK. I knew it was the case in Australia but not in UK...

• ncmountainman

Posted November 27, 2004 - 07:49 AM

every day is a learning experience !!! just snip , cap , and tape if they are of no use to you anymore,but don't you need power for the new trailtech? i'm guessing there should be enough juice there to run it but you had better check it with a meter first to make sure its the right voltage ac/or dc. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simch

Posted November 27, 2004 - 12:46 PM

The trailtech does not take power, it runs off a lithium cell, (light and all). Unless I am missing something!!?

I will happily snip and cap them off but wanted to know if there was a plug somewhere! How do Yamaha replace them, snip and solder??

My bike came with the full road legal DOT kit fitted, so maybe the 04 gets an speedo not an odometer as part of this?

• ncmountainman

Posted November 27, 2004 - 01:07 PM

thats great those things work off batt power! i was totally shocked at how callous the wiring was when i removed the crap from my starter(there was 1 lb of wiring to remove!) there were dead ends and splices. not very professional if you ask me. so those wires may or may not have a connector?

• coldweld

Posted November 29, 2004 - 12:00 PM

I ahve an 04 UK spec wr450 that came with all the yamaha road legal kit from new. I have got a trailtech to fit instead of the stock speedometer. Anyone done this or replaced this speedo? There does not appearto be multiplugs for all the wiring to the speedo, (for lights, turn signal indicators etc), and the speedo appears to be "hard wired" into the loom? Before I snip the wires, does anyone know where the "ends are"? They seem to go it the main loom running down the left side of the bike?

Any help greatly appreciated as always! :cry:

DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES FOR SPEEDO

I fitted my own road legal kit and can tell you that the speedo is not hard wired.
undo the fixing bolts.
disconect speedo drive.
the idiot lights [indicators,full beam & speedo ilumination just pull out the back]
take out bulbs [if you want or leave] and tape up .
blank off speedo pickup[on front wheel].

Fit trailtech
A new loom [eg if you want to sell the bike as most people want O/S when secondhand] can only be bought in the Road Kit £ 300 + VAT

Think carefully when cutting up Loom ££££££££££££££££££££££

• simch

Posted November 29, 2004 - 01:20 PM

I sussed yesterday that the idiot lights just pull out the back, and have already dne as you suggest! I was gunna post here, but it is sooo obvious when you look at it, I thought you would all think I was a right dopper! LOL!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.