IMS fuel tank question

3 replies to this topic
  • ry0ken

Posted November 26, 2004 - 08:20 PM

i just put on an IMS fuel tank, and noticed that the crossover fuel line on the right side is basically up against the cylinder and very close to the header pipe as well. i put a thin rubber sleeve line around it to help shield it some, but it still has me worried a bit. anyone else with the IMS desert tank have this same problem with any tips ???? thx for any help. :cry:

btw, this is on a '04 yz 450 :cry:

• trailriderjoe

Posted November 27, 2004 - 09:40 AM

Yea,
Made me VERY nervous too. I shortened the line as much as possible to make the radius stay up off the header. NO FIRES WANTED HEAR!!! :cry:

I also put a couple zip ties on the other side of the carb to keep the line right where I wanted it. Makes me wonder why IMS would do such a thing :cry: I've got a full season of hard woods riding without incident (knock on wood)

Later

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf450jack

Posted November 27, 2004 - 02:54 PM

Mine is the same way :cry: zipTie ims tank has a cool little petcock over there :cry:

• oldbones

Posted November 27, 2004 - 08:27 PM

Use a zip tie or two to hold the line away from the header. It won't hurt it to touch the head, but if it rests on the pipe, it will melt.

I think I got really lucky with mine. I didn't notice, but it had slipped down and was touching the pipe. I had a little get off, and after picking the bike up and getting ready to start it, my buddy points down and yells at me. I looked down and saw gas leaking out right onto the head pipe! This was about an inch behind the petcock, so I was able to cut the last inch off the fuel line and hook it back up. I ended up buying some heavier fuel line, and zip tying it up so it CANT touch the pipe.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.