icat? it really works

71 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 19, 2004 - 07:19 AM

type icat ignition into your search engine and you will find plenty of info. they say it'll work better w/out the resistor plug,and i've come to find that its not needed with the icat(it stabilizes any stray harmonics) i'm wondering though if there is an inline resistor also,is there anyone with a bad 03-4 coil they can disect to see???

• blireef

Posted December 19, 2004 - 07:29 AM

OK, I don't know about the icat but I would like to know how you got your picture small enough to go in the avatar space?? I'm all over tires that are better than IT's, how much? I just bought a Kenda Carlsbad from the Baja 1000 guys but haven't tried it yet. Indy, I went for my first ride yesterday with the new stainless knees (100 miles) and they worked great. It's sure good to get out on the Baja sand again and I'll say it again, The 450 is "Bad Ass" in the desert, right with the XR650.. :cry: :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 19, 2004 - 04:55 PM

OK, I don't know about the icat but I would like to know how you got your picture small enough to go in the avatar space?? I'm all over tires that are better than IT's, how much? I just bought a Kenda Carlsbad from the Baja 1000 guys but haven't tried it yet. Indy, I went for my first ride yesterday with the new stainless knees (100 miles) and they worked great. It's sure good to get out on the Baja sand again and I'll say it again, The 450 is "Bad Ass" in the desert, right with the XR650.. :cry: :cry:

Hey Blireef! Great to hear you are well on the way to recovery! Great to see you riding already! Take care of those SS knees! :cry: You can shrink any picture to 80 x 80 pixel size by using a computer program like photoshop. TT will now store and host the avatar for you.

• bruceclapham

Posted January 01, 2005 - 06:24 PM

So did any of you guys manage to source some of these BY8424 diodes? i found some online but it needed a minimum order of $500!

did anyone actually make up an one of these diodes to the bike and try it out?

• MadDawg

Posted January 01, 2005 - 07:54 PM

I got mine from here, but find it needs a lot of maintenance, and has had negligible effect on performace of my 450.
Its a hit with the girls though! LOL

http://www.catagility.com/

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D ;) <too funny>

• Beef

Posted January 01, 2005 - 08:21 PM

This idea has been around for a while, check out Jacobs and MSD ignitions. They actually force multiple sparks across the top of the compression stroke, thereby increasing combustion efficiency.

The CRF ignitions also use this technology above about 8000 rpms. Single spark down low though...not sure why.

As for removing the resistor in your coil/boot, I wouldn't recommend it, for the following reasons:
1) As Mr. Wizard said, it can increase the heat in the coil, thereby reducing it's life. As long as you are using a -R plug though, this shouldn't be a big issue.
2) Removing the resistor WILL give you a higher voltage spike, but also a FASTER spike. The whole point of the iCAT is to prolong the spark, so that the fuel burns more completely. By removing the resistor, you would actually be doing the opposite of what the iCAT was trying to accomplish. The only way this would be beneficial, is if you wanted to run a longer spark gap for some reason...
3) Increasing RF emissions just gives the environmentalists one more thing to bitch about. Like we need that.

Personally, I can think of one REALLY BIG advantage of the iCAT, if it works as claimed: have Yamaha put one of these on, and take off that POS AIS gizzmo that they put on to achieve green-sticker status! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brettv

Posted January 01, 2005 - 11:00 PM

hey guys,
i have all the things i need to build 5 ICATS...., ive bought the by8424 diodes from RS components, for $2 each in australia. i also bought a couple of tins of epoxy to set them in. the only thing i cant figure out is how to connect the tiny diode wire to the big coil wire?? i dont think i would even be able to crimp the diode wire,

any suggestions?
:cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 01, 2005 - 11:42 PM

You can try soldering them. I hope that vibration wont damage the connection. That is why most electrical manufacturers encase those types of connections in plastic. :cry:

• Beef

Posted January 02, 2005 - 12:33 AM

Find a screw that has the same size and thread pitch as the head on a spark plug. Cut off the heads, wrap the diode leads around the screw threads and solder. Make sure you do not leave a "cold" solder joint, as you will probably end up stranded in the middle of nowhere if you do. Use acid-free flux if you have to. Wash everything with Flux-off, otherwise the epoxy won't stick.

Now put the diode with two screws on each end in a cylindrical mould, pour in the epoxy, and use a jig to hold the screws (and diode) all parallel with each other, and centered in the mould.

As an idea for the mould, I would "practice" with melting a AA battery in a block of parrifin wax. I don't think the epoxy would stick to the wax, and even if it does, you could just melt it right off.

Good luck. Let us know how it works! :cry:

• Oddiemx

Posted January 02, 2005 - 05:58 AM

Is it something developed by Apple?

• CoalPilot

Posted February 01, 2005 - 09:11 PM

G'DAY MATE!

How yer commin' with that homemade icat? Any luck? Inquirin' minds wanna know.

• ncmountainman

Posted February 02, 2005 - 07:28 AM

the real one is still workin' great. the fuel economy difference is just short of amazing. i wish there was a accurate way to prove it without riding the road,my trails are too difficult to do any precise measuring, but the gas sure does last alot longer.:cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.