icat? it really works

71 replies to this topic
  • Jackazz

Posted December 01, 2004 - 09:47 AM

Hmm, that's interesting...

I figured as much, but noticed on the image of a package for one I saw on ebay said: "Always ensure the iCAT is secured to the machine using the supplied frame mount."

The "mount" provided is simply a short piece of rubber tube that you run a zip tie through, arount the iCAT, back through the rubber tube & around the frame... assumably to act as a vibration insulator.

If you have any digital pics, you can e-mail them to me sevans%@%alkemeyer.com (minus %'s of course) & I'll post 'em.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 01, 2004 - 10:28 AM

there was no attachment devices supplied but the yamaha one rides inside the plug hole anyway the part i attached with zip tys is the coil and boot. in other words the icat assumes the same exact shape and position of the old coil/boot assembly and then there is a plug wire(about 3") that connects to the now loose coil/boot assmbly. and that is what needs attaching just so happens if you lay it horizontal it can strap right to the clutch/throttle cables just in front of the clutch cable frame bracket. :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted December 01, 2004 - 10:43 AM

I'm pickin up what you're layin down man :cry:

On a side note, it sounds like it'd be easier to change plugs with this setup. I checked my plug for the first time last weekend & noticed that getting the coil/plug-boot out of the head took a bit of work, as the coil hit's the backbone of the frame as soon as you start pulling it out.

• Stonie426

Posted December 01, 2004 - 12:09 PM

Newbie here.... sorry to "BUT IN" guys....

On the subject of the iCAT, has anyone looked down the end of their spark plug cap and noticed a slot in the central metal part. If you put a screwdriver down there, it will infact unscrew.... if you guys haven't done this, you may be surprised to find out what's down there.

I did this and found a spring and what look's like a fuse type component, i think it's a resistor of sort's to help electromagnetic suppression.... or could it already be a diode ?

Hmmm.... what do you guys think ???

• ncmountainman

Posted December 02, 2004 - 05:30 AM

hey stony, you talkin' bout up inside the stock boot under the coil? what bike do you have? seems to be a resistor,i wonder if removed or replaced with one of less resistance you might improve on spark? maybe at the cost of plug life? :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 02, 2004 - 07:25 AM

just got off the phone with my electronics wizard and he tells me that the resistor is there to build voltage in the coil and removing or changing would not be in the best interest of the coil. more heat= premature failure. i also ran the reverse potted diode thing by him and he thought that it was a great idea,that the diode is a one way switch that has a reverse leakdown point so when reversed it would build the power until said point and then bypass the diode. he also said that the resistor would not impair this process. so it gets mr. wizards approval (which means a little as hes a high powered communications expert)

• SXP

Posted December 02, 2004 - 07:39 AM

just got off the phone with my electronics wizard and he tells me that the resistor is there to build voltage in the coil and removing or changing would not be in the best interest of the coil. more heat= premature failure. i also ran the reverse potted diode thing by him and he thought that it was a great idea,that the diode is a one way switch that has a reverse leakdown point so when reversed it would build the power until said point and then bypass the diode. he also said that the resistor would not impair this process. so it gets mr. wizards approval (which means a little as hes a high powered communications expert)

Hmmm......I thought the resistor was for radio noise suppression (for nearby motorist with their radios on) :cry: .

In the XR forum, I've seen a couple of post where the poster has recommended removal of the resistor and replacement with a brass plug of the same length. It's supposed to allow for a "hotter/fuller" spark and hence easier starting.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 02, 2004 - 09:36 AM

well as stated he is a communications guy and not an ignition expert ! so if he's wrong i suppose its forgivable? man i'd just hate to find out the hard way and fry my coil! what about the plugs, i thought the R designation was a resistor plug or does that just mean its meant to work with the resistor thats in the coil? so after removal do you go back to a regular plug? and i coulda sworn i read a post somewhere that the R plug was needed to keep the CDI happy?

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 02, 2004 - 10:42 AM

You electronic tech guys are scaring me! :cry: This post is getting very interesting! :cry: Where is Marcus? :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted December 02, 2004 - 10:47 AM

You electronic tech guys are scaring me! :cry: This post is getting very interesting! :cry: Where is Marcus? :cry:

SHHH! maybe if we pretend he's not here, he'll go away... :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stonie426

Posted December 02, 2004 - 04:19 PM

OK guys, take a look at this NGK page

http://www.ngkntk.co...plugs/p_09.html

"Containing a ceramic resistor element, spark plug resistor covers suppress to a minimal level the electromagnetic interference generated by a motorcycle or general engine ignition system"

As a competant home auto mechanic, it's just as I suspected along with SXP.

Anyway ncmountainman, note sure if the 450's have one of these resistors, if that's what you're talking about (seems as thou' you are), but my WR426 certainly has !

In general, with the HT (high tension) spark plug side of the ignition being of such a high voltage, a few kV (kilovolts), reducing or removing the resistance altogether would probably have very little, if any effect at all on spark improvement..... it's just there for noise suppression.

And in the past, I've used various combinations of non-resistor/resistor plugs with non-resistor/resistor plug leads (in motorcars) with no detrimental results to the ignition coil or other ignition components.... only detrimental results were with the TV temporarily picking up "picture noise" inside the house !!!

But as a idea thou', if you have one of these springs inside the plug cap, perhaps replacing it with a shorter one and using the gained space for your potted diode.... very convenient :cry:

Stonie.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 02, 2004 - 04:28 PM

heck of an idear there stonie,maybe jackazz could incorporate that into his design. and what do ya mean by "just as i suspected" you thought it was a dang fuse :cry: ahh just bustin' ya. i don't know if that all would fit together the potted part is a couple inches long. i don't know if it has to be that long or not?? if that resistor is there just to eliminate buzz on my neighbors t.v. then its comin'off.(just more crap to screw up) but iwant to make sure its not there to protect the CDI first. :cry: :cry:

• Brettv

Posted December 02, 2004 - 06:13 PM

hey guys, ive just ordered 5 of the diodes for $11.50, im gunna pick em up soon. hopefully ill be able to make somehting out of them, by the way if i do, this am i in trouble with the patent?
does the the ICAT itself only contains the diode., not the resistor?

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted December 02, 2004 - 06:33 PM

it only contains the diode.

if you sell it for a profit, they will sue you for royalties. If you sell a million of them you should be able to hire Johnnie Cochran and weasel out of it anyhow.

Fly like the wind. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 02, 2004 - 06:33 PM

only if you tell someone!!! no i think your o.k. as long as you don't go retail. and the resistor were talking about is in the coil/plug boot. it doesn't have anything to do with the icat i'm just trying to figure out if it can be eliminated or not? :cry: don,t forget the diode has to be reversed.

• Jackazz

Posted December 14, 2004 - 12:33 PM

Newbie here.... sorry to "BUT IN" guys....

On the subject of the iCAT, has anyone looked down the end of their spark plug cap and noticed a slot in the central metal part. If you put a screwdriver down there, it will infact unscrew.... if you guys haven't done this, you may be surprised to find out what's down there.

I did this and found a spring and what look's like a fuse type component, i think it's a resistor of sort's to help electromagnetic suppression.... or could it already be a diode ?

Hmmm.... what do you guys think ???

Stonie, what year is your 426? I changed the plug in my WR this weekend when switching the pipe & messing with the jetting, & decided to get a closer look at my coil. I don't have this little screw thing with a fuse/resistor or whatever on my '04 450. You got any pics of your setup??

• Stonie426

Posted December 15, 2004 - 02:05 AM

Jackazz,

My 426 is an '02 model. Not sure if the 450's have the same set up if the coil is located directly on top of the plug, it may be already & permanantly built into the coil housing.

Sorry.... as i don't have any photo's, if you can't see a slot or something in the metal part down the center of your plug cap, unless you can look at someone elses 450, presume you don't have the 426 setup.

Stonie

• MORETORQUE

Posted December 15, 2004 - 02:40 PM

4 strokes generally have a better burn efficiency than 2 strokes on 2 strokes they are suppose to make a big difference. I just picked one up from a supercrosser who said it did not do much for his CRF 450 but I know on my CR 500 it will make a hugh difference. The patent make sence.

• loozer

Posted December 19, 2004 - 04:23 AM

Where can one purchase this magical box? Me wants one!!!!
Loozer....... -15F in Rosemount, MN.

• RCannon

Posted December 19, 2004 - 07:17 AM

I dont think they would sue you. If they do it would be admitting that your idea is right on the money. How can they do it? My guess is that you would never hear a word from ICAT. It woudl also be very expensive for them. Besides that, their first move would be to ask you to stop.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.