icat? it really works

71 replies to this topic
  • FFRacing79

Posted November 30, 2004 - 01:57 PM

"In laymans terms it simply extends the spark duration so that the combustion burns more of the fuel."

So if I hold the match in the gas puddle longer, it will burn more complete(not to mention my hand).
These gimmicks have been around for years. back in the '80s, there was a similar product(cant even think of the name)...sold a million of them...didnt do squat.
ex. if your ugly and I tell you that your good looking, if you believe me...get the picture?

• Jackazz

Posted November 30, 2004 - 02:07 PM

...These gimmicks have been around for years. back in the '80s, there was a similar product(cant even think of the name)...sold a million of them...didnt do squat.
ex. if your ugly and I tell you that your good looking, if you believe me...get the picture?

So you're saying the magnets I have wrapped around my gasline aren't actually giving me more power & better gas mileage? :cry: :cry:

• FFRacing79

Posted November 30, 2004 - 02:10 PM

So you're saying the magnets I have wrapped around my gasline aren't actually giving me more power & better gas mileage? :cry: :cry:

Now I didn't say that!! :cry:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 30, 2004 - 02:23 PM

well rather than simply bashing the thing go read the patent for yourself.

If their test results are valid, then if nothing else it burns the fuel during combustion more completely. The by products from incomplete combustion are way down compared to not using it.

I would be interested in seeing a comparison of it against a multi spark cdi unit.

• crazyYammi

Posted November 30, 2004 - 02:35 PM

There are lies, statistics and patents. (I have a few)

These statements speak for themselves....

FIG. 10 shows that a Cavalier 1800SRI engine exhibited a 97.5% decrease in carbon dioxide emission as a fraction of total exhaust when fitted with an ignition system according to the invention, in comparison to prior art ignition circuits. FIG. 10 also shows that hydrocarbon emissions dropped by 93.8%, carbon monoxide emission dropped by 97.8%, and oxygen increased by 335.4%. A Rover 827i engine exhibited no carbon monoxide emission after being fitted with the an ignition system according to the invention, as shown in FIG. 11. In addition, the engine exhibited a 76.3% decrease in hydrocarbon emission and a 0.9% increase in carbon dioxide emission. No oxygen was exhausted under either operating condition.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 30, 2004 - 02:47 PM

Personally I'm glad the wright brothers didnt suscribe to that mantra. :cry:

• crazyYammi

Posted November 30, 2004 - 02:51 PM

Actually the wright brothers got little to nothing for their invention.

Personally I'm glad the wright brothers didnt suscribe to that mantra. :cry:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 30, 2004 - 02:58 PM

I was thinking more of what the rest of us got for their perseverance. It was a good thing they decided flying machines were not just a bunch of hogwash.

Think of the implications if the thing cut even 20% of the pollution down on combustion gases. LA would be able to see the sky again. :cry:

• crazyYammi

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:06 PM

Who gives a crap? Obviously i dont care about dirt bike pollution because i ride a 2 stroke. What does this patent have to do with improving power on a dirtbike?

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:18 PM

well assume for a minute that the fuel does burn more completely.

If it did did burn more completely there would be less soot and the exhaust gas would have less mass. Less mass would lead to less effort to evacuate the cylinder, or in the more power case, more exhaust would be evacuated as it would be easier to get it to move. So now that the cylinder will be emptier at the end of the exhaust stroke, there will be more room for fresh mix to get in during the intake stroke.

Better exhaust evacuation ='s more intake mix, more intake mix ='s more power.

They also hypothesized that the longer spark made higher combustion pressures and accounted for the higher power output. The less pollution is what I think they were shooting for with the patent. Probably in hopes to sell it to the auto industry. The residuals would be huge if it really worked.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crazyYammi

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:26 PM

Well it is pretty easy to 'cook the books' in a patent. Perhaps they advanced the timing way out of spec?? Patent literature is BS.

There is not one single verafiable independant advantage demonstrated by the icat.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:31 PM

I dont argue that at all. I did say it was their tests that showed the improvements.

Personally for me it's not worth $200 to find out, but I can certainly buy a diode for less than a buck, and some corona dope and some heatshrink and try it to see.

:cry:

• Jackazz

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:36 PM

Personally for me it's not worth $200 to find out, but I can certainly buy a diode for less than a buck, and some corona dope and some heatshrink and try it to see. :cry:

Mr Hammer, I'd like you to meet Mr nail...

Oh, I see you two have allready met. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 30, 2004 - 05:51 PM

well i'm glad everyones finally got to see what makes it tick !! and yes you probably could make one for next to nothing, but if i didn't buy one and find all this crap out then everyone would still be scratchin' they're a$$ sayin' that thing can't work. well it does what it says,quite well. i'd be interested to see the results if anyone does make one. its kinda like the subtank thing,ya i coulda made one cheaper but buying it ready to go on knowing that they will work for my application,was well worth it to me. the icat is actually a high quality peice(construction wise) :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted December 01, 2004 - 07:05 AM

Care to post some pics of the one you have? I'm curious if it's any different than what they show on their webpage.

I was thinking that I could probably make 4 of them by ordereing the diodes from that UK site, sourcing some resin, shrinkwrap, & tubing locally & using an NGK plug wire kit (blue wires :cry: ) for my old toyota truck. I'm thinking the total expendatures should be well less than $60. Now all I have to do is actually buy the stuff & find the time to make them.

• Endurordr

Posted December 01, 2004 - 07:11 AM

Wow, didn't mean to cause such a stir 'round here. I was just curious to see what made it tick. I don't have a problem supporting a comapny who's done TONS of R&D to prove a product...first hand experience and word of mouth beats company advertising any day. I will gladly purchase the ICAT when the time is right. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted December 01, 2004 - 07:35 AM

the difference in the yamaha one is its on 90' angle it looks much like the stock coil/plug boot (take off the rubber skirt that keeps the dirt out)and then you plug the icat lead (which has a threaded nipple much like the top of a plug) into the old plug boot (where the plug woulda been) then there is a new plug boot(with about 3" of plug wire for slack)on the other end of the icat(slip the rubber skirt on the new boot) and attach it on the plug just as any boot would(then you have the the old boot and coil, i taped it up good and zip-tied it to the clutch and throttle cables (fits nicely) :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted December 01, 2004 - 08:16 AM

Thanks NCMM, That sounds exactly like what I pictured in my head. This should be relatively easy to make once I get the parts.

• simch

Posted December 01, 2004 - 08:27 AM

Jackazz, PM me here in the UK if you need any help sourcing the diodes.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 01, 2004 - 08:50 AM

Thanks NCMM, That sounds exactly like what I pictured in my head. This should be relatively easy to make once I get the parts.

look forward too seeing if it works,after reading that last post i didn't know if it was clear but the potted peice actually goes down in the valve cover unlike the one they show on the site. i would post pictures but i'm techno-impaired!! :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.