icat? it really works

71 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 26, 2004 - 03:34 PM

my biggest expectation from ordering this thing was easier starting and after a 3 day ride last wknd with indy and a bunch of other tt'ers i found it to do just that and more,bottom end was way snappier,and mileage seemed increased(i was using less gas than dan on a identical bike exhaust,jetting and i even weigh about 60 lbs more, i guess its a wash if you count his backpack!) the only problem i had was during install i didn't get the boot all the way on the plug and it came loose in the middle of nowhere (started cutting out) well after we figured that out it was back at it,and i gotta say for all the skeptics out there it was worth it!! the thing actually does something :cry: now take into consideration that there are no improvements on the dyno but you can tell the difference. and no its not some wishful phsychotic reaction to spending "all that money" and there does seem to be some mystery as to how it does what it does but if it works who cares? my unedjucated guess is that its a capacitor/inductor set up, and yes its probly only $20 worth of parts but in a useable package its worth it to me. i'd also like to add that the feel of this product is one of high quality not just a piece of plastic. all that said if any of you are thinking of getting one , go for it!! also like to put in a good word for my new trelleborgs,the whole last days ride at coal cr. was mud,mud,and more mud and they performed awsome compared to my old maxxis it's. it took a while for the front to come in on the wet rocks but once the square edges wore in a little it was great. they wear very well also,after 200 mi. of all kinds of terrain they show little wear :cry: :cry:

• YamahaSteve

Posted November 26, 2004 - 07:45 PM

what the heck is an icat?

• endurodog

Posted November 26, 2004 - 09:03 PM

Is it possible that the new tires helped the performance of your bike and not the Icat. I hear that new tires add 2-3 HP. lol

Thanks for the report man!!!

• ncmountainman

Posted November 27, 2004 - 07:34 AM

the tires probly put an extra 3 hp to the ground but i installed the icat after the tires and can definately say it is now starting way easier and no its not that it was out of tune the valves are in spec and the jetting is about as close as its gonna get! it now kicks 1-2 instead of 3-5 and yes i kick my wr450 as it has no starter(weight thing) there are gonna be people saying to themselves "oh its just a self justification for spending all that money" whatever,but bottom end snappiness is greatly improved also (it even made it sound different and i had to go out another 1/2 turn on the a/f) and this was a direct comparison as i rode it 2 hrs before install and the conditions were the same. not that i'm telling you to go get one one its the magic cure! i'm just sayin' i'm happy with this product and it does what it claims :cry: for those who don't know what it is go to the web and search "icat ignition" and there is alot of info :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 29, 2004 - 02:05 PM

I can say one thing about ICAT it sure helps improve the gas mileage when cruising at lower rpms. NCMountainman and I are jetted the same and he used about 10% less gas riding across the flats to get to the North end of Coal Creek. :cry:

• rush66

Posted November 29, 2004 - 03:02 PM

Altering the ignition curve can have very positive effects. I believe it does all the things you say. I would like to get a programable ignition so that you can tweak the settings to the way you like them.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 29, 2004 - 03:08 PM

i looked at a couple ignition boxes first and they were all $400 and up! this thing seems to have done the trick for 190 ! there was one box that had like 10 programs switchable between two of those while riding,i forgot the name of it though?

• ncmountainman

Posted November 29, 2004 - 03:54 PM

i just researched the patent # 6070568 US it has all the test results what it is and what it does looks impressive but i don't know how to post it maybe someone who does can research it and post it. it boils down to a diode(philips BY8424 to be exact) that when connected between the voltage source and the spark gap,the diode having an inherent capacitance such as it acts as a capacitor when reverse biassed. so its a capacitor/diode setup that extends the voltage decay time following the initial generation of spark across the gap. in addition it reduces the oscillation of the voltage following any secondary negative spike. use of the circuit increases combustion efficiency by - 76 % HC ppm in the test they did on a land rover. ! :cry:

• Endurordr

Posted November 29, 2004 - 04:04 PM

i just researched the patent # 6070568 US it has all the test results what it is and what it does looks impressive but i don't know how to post it maybe someone who does can research it and post it. it boils down to a diode(philips BY8424 to be exact) that when connected between the voltage source and the spark gap,the diode having an inherent capacitance such as it acts as a capacitor when reverse biassed. so its a capacitor/diode setup that extends the voltage decay time following the initial generation of spark across the gap. in addition it reduces the oscillation of the voltage following any secondary negative spike. use of the circuit increases combustion efficiency by - 76 % HC ppm in the test they did on a land rover. ! :cry:

So in "lehmans terms" what does this mean? Is this something I can make myself? I'm pretty good with electronics espically when someone tells me what to put where.

• davidm

Posted November 29, 2004 - 04:06 PM

Indy's back pack is at least 50#, but he is well counter-balanced.
As for power, they call it a 525 KTM. Rock-on Indy :cry: :cry: :cry:

david
2005 KTM 525 EXC
2005 KTM 300 EXC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 29, 2004 - 04:24 PM

So in "lehmans terms" what does this mean? Is this something I can make myself? I'm pretty good with electronics espically when someone tells me what to put where.

i suppose you can,the patent app is public knowledge and tells you pretty much what it is with diagrams ! they say it must be potted properly looks like its encased in epoxy. hey if you can figure it out you can go into the the black market with them. "blakcat" has a ring to it!!
:cry: i myself kinda like the way they did it very heavy duty. :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 29, 2004 - 05:03 PM

Indy's back pack is at least 50#, but he is well counter-balanced.
As for power, they call it a 525 KTM. Rock-on Indy :cry: :cry: :lol:

david
2005 KTM 525 EXC
2005 KTM 300 EXC

Hey are you saying I got a 50 lb beer gut! :cry:
Glad to see you back on TT Dave. :cry:
I thought you were spending all your time on KTM talk.
Man are things finally picking up on this forum.

TT rocks!!!!! :cry: :D :D :lol: :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 30, 2004 - 10:30 AM

Just ordered the ICAT from http://www.ICATUSA.com
Cant wait to get that extra 10% fuel mileage out of the 3.4 Gallon tank! :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted November 30, 2004 - 11:09 AM

You read my mind dude. I looked it up & well... so much for layman's terms

• simch

Posted November 30, 2004 - 11:17 AM

I got mine from here, but find it needs a lot of maintenance, and has had negligible effect on performace of my 450.
Its a hit with the girls though! LOL

http://www.catagility.com/

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 30, 2004 - 11:54 AM

In laymans terms it simply extends the spark duration so that the combustion burns more of the fuel.

There is no additional capacitor, only the Diode is inserted between the coil and the spark plug (cathode towards the coil).

They dont seem to have a firm grasp of the physics involved, but they did show through testing (their own) that it causes a more complete burn of the fuel.

• Jackazz

Posted November 30, 2004 - 12:03 PM

In laymans terms it simply extends the spark duration so that the combustion burns more of the fuel.

There is no additional capacitor, only the Diode is inserted between the coil and the spark plug (cathode towards the coil).

They dont seem to have a firm grasp of the physics involved, but they did show through testing (their own) that it causes a more complete burn of the fuel.

So you're saying it's nothing more than a "potted" diode then?

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 30, 2004 - 12:14 PM

Thats what I'm saying. :cry:

The patent as most patents do, tries to obscure the obvious.

• Endurordr

Posted November 30, 2004 - 12:41 PM

Interesting :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted November 30, 2004 - 01:23 PM

OK, so if I'm understanding what I saw in the patent info & what you're telling me, I can order one of the Philips BY8424 diodes for about a buck from rswww.com & encase it in resin & I've got the same thin ICAT sells for $200... :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.