XR650L Horsepower

10 replies to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted November 25, 2004 - 11:18 PM

anyone know what horsepower the 05 XR650L (stock) puts out?

• michaeln

Posted November 26, 2004 - 04:36 AM

30-32, somewhere in that range.

• Misfit

Posted November 26, 2004 - 02:21 PM

That sounds about right for a stock 650L, mine however im guessing with the mods ive done so far probally puts out about 40-45 hp im hopping get about 50-55 with an edelbrock and white bros header that i am putting on this winter. :cry:

• smashinz2002

Posted November 26, 2004 - 09:13 PM

Yeah, about 30-32. Not much at all considering the weight of the bike.

• BWB63

Posted November 27, 2004 - 07:48 AM

31hp @ 6000 rpm 29.7 torque @3800 RPM. This is on a dyno @ the rear wheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted November 27, 2004 - 02:02 PM

that would seem to be some pretty wishful thinking, I doubt if your mods would make more than a few horsepower difference, at best ... anyway, ya only need more horsepower when you never have to ease off the gas ... not many that can run a BRP wide-open all the time ...

• michaeln

Posted November 28, 2004 - 03:36 AM

that would seem to be some pretty wishful thinking, I doubt if your mods would make more than a few horsepower difference, at best ... anyway, ya only need more horsepower when you never have to ease off the gas ... not many that can run a BRP wide-open all the time ...

My L's motor is stock internally, with 32K miles on it. I have a Uni filter, snorkel & smog removed, WB header, WB E2 can, and a Keihin FCR41. I have not dynoed it (why bother?), but it's probably in the mid to high 30s for HP. Maybe less.

But I am continually amazed at how you can haul ass on tight twisty roads (mine is supermoto converted, so I am talking pavement here) with so little HP. Even with as little as my bike has, I find I don't use all of it that often, even when going fast. The trick seems to be developing the ability to maintain high corner speeds, conserving as much momentum as possible.

I regularly whip high-HP sportbikes on my ratty old L with its itty bitty little 30-something HP.

• michaeln

Posted November 28, 2004 - 03:42 AM

im guessing with the mods ive done so far probally puts out about 40-45 hp im hopping get about 50-55 with an edelbrock and white bros header that i am putting on this winter.

Fat chance.

The only way you are going to see 50-55HP out of it is with an overbore, high compression piston, porting work, cam, etc.. If you do all that then those numbers are possible, but you better have an oil cooler on it too and learn to live with decreased reliability.

Nothing you can bolt on will get you anywhere near 50HP.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 29, 2004 - 09:26 AM

The heck with the HP, its all about the torque, baby! That dead-nuts-flat torque curve is beautiful!
Saturday I was idling up greasy-mud covered traprock hills that had the 2s guys whipped!

Dave

• sgifford

Posted November 29, 2004 - 10:30 AM

I agree with that. It's the torque! High HP is overrated in many cases. The L can go up and/or over just about anything with the engine barely above idle.

Seldon

• BWB63

Posted November 29, 2004 - 01:38 PM

Michaeln
I applaud you :cry: for not making/wanting the XR650L be more then it is and enjoying what it does :lol:
The XR650L is basicly a XR600 with a starter and bigger bore.
I had a XR600 with the works....bored over, radical cam, 12:1 compression, carb. (not as nice as yours) header, muffler, different timing and It read 47hp at Superior Dyno Tune in the early 90's. Looking back I don't know how much of that number was real. They messed with everything to give me the best number they could...after all that's the only reason I was there was to see a big number. I was happy till the bike got hot. Then I could not start it till I took the spark plug out and put it back in. I didn't know about a hot start button. I don't think anyone had. What a pain :cry: the bike was not racable. If I stalled it I was sunk :cry: :cry:

Still they are real nice bikes if you don't screw one up like I did.
It would be so much easier if Honda would not have made the XR650L and XR650R have such close designations. When back in the mid 80's it was XL600 and XR600R then you had a better Idea of what you were getting now the line is so clouded that many think that the XR650L and XR650R are basicly the same bike and as you know there is nothing the same ....well I take that back, they may have the same grips. If you want more bike and are stuck on Honda get a XR650R :cry: then you can get your over fifty horsepower you are looking for.

http://www.borynack....650R/xr650r.htm

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.