Getting New XR650R, need help

31 replies to this topic
  • irace511

Posted December 03, 2004 - 09:23 AM

I run Scotts Triple clamp ( Fat Bar). With Front Mount Stabilizer Kit
And Tag T2 CR double High. Work Really well For Taller Riders. But universal mounts Will Add 5/8 To The Overall High Of Your Bars. Also Works Good.
Good Luck. :cry:

• StuartV

Posted December 03, 2004 - 02:21 PM

Whats the difference besides the starting? I'm trying to get a leftover 04.

Small(er) differences are the power and roll-on performance. Big differences (besides ease of starting) are:

- Bike will keep running when laying on it's side. Take my word for it. If you fall off a few times a day (like me), the combination of usually not having to re-start the bike and only having to kick it once when you do makes a huge difference in overall ride enjoyment. With the stock carb, every time I fell of I'd have to kick the bike as many times as I do now in a whole day of riding.

- Ease of tuning. Getting the stock carb to actually carburete well is difficult (impossible for some). Then you go and put on a pipe or open up the airbox or something and have to do it all again. The QS is MUCH easier to dial in and works much better, at it's best, then stocker would, even if you could get it dialed in "perfectly".

- No rejetting required for changes in elevation. I don't know your situation, but I live in Florida (i.e. very low elevation). I ride around home a lot, but I also take my BRP up to the mountains in N. Georgia several times a year. That's somewhere around 3000 feet of elevation change (or more). Not needing to rejet the carb, just to get it to run right each time I go back and forth is really nice.

• Baja Rudy

Posted December 03, 2004 - 02:44 PM

I have a new 4.7 red IMS tank for sale, not a dry-brake...new, nothing wrong with it. I'm asking $200 for it. retail is $250 plus tax. let me know if you are interested.

rudy :cry:

• BigRunt

Posted December 03, 2004 - 05:27 PM

Small(er) differences are the power and roll-on performance. Big differences (besides ease of starting) are:

- Bike will keep running when laying on it's side. Take my word for it. If you fall off a few times a day (like me), the combination of usually not having to re-start the bike and only having to kick it once when you do makes a huge difference in overall ride enjoyment. With the stock carb, every time I fell of I'd have to kick the bike as many times as I do now in a whole day of riding.

- Ease of tuning. Getting the stock carb to actually carburete well is difficult (impossible for some). Then you go and put on a pipe or open up the airbox or something and have to do it all again. The QS is MUCH easier to dial in and works much better, at it's best, then stocker would, even if you could get it dialed in "perfectly".

- No rejetting required for changes in elevation. I don't know your situation, but I live in Florida (i.e. very low elevation). I ride around home a lot, but I also take my BRP up to the mountains in N. Georgia several times a year. That's somewhere around 3000 feet of elevation change (or more). Not needing to rejet the carb, just to get it to run right each time I go back and forth is really nice.

Thanks for the reply. So with this carb, will it come dialed in and set up for an already uncorked 650 ( intake and exhaust?) I'm also thinking of getting a quicksilver carb now from reading the good and consistant reviews from it.

• qadsan

Posted December 03, 2004 - 06:00 PM

Yep, they come setup for a standard uncorked XR650R so it's usually just a simple bolt on and any tuning from standard is pretty minimal for most folks. Rob Barnum is a good guy and has always treated me right. I've bought several of these carbs from him over the years for our XR's and I'd gladly buy them again. After you've installed one, you can install the next one in ~20 minutes.

• tirebiter

Posted December 03, 2004 - 06:01 PM

BigRunt,
What elev. do you ride at??
I'm usually riding between sea level and 4k.
With all the uncorking, exhaust mods & various other tinkering, I came up with this recipe for the stock carb:
Pilot jet-----68s---Honda P/N: 99105-MBN-0680 this IS a Honda part, not the same as the stock 68.
Same needle your running, 3 third clip till 2k, then second clip.
180 main..sounds rich but works.
Float level set to specs, screw lowering it, only adds to jetting problems.

Do you have a service manual yet? Here's the bible..
http://www.helminc.c...VMQ2UNUBT13BKA4
I run an Edelbrock on my bike, It's ok...nothing to write home about if you can get the stocker tuned..
I'm 53 years old, Been riding since '67 and I ride damn near every week- the pig's gonna carry me to the end!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigRunt

Posted December 04, 2004 - 01:32 PM

Well, I said my goodbye's to the yammi. Got the 650 home and drove it around a bit. Brrrr, -5 degrees celcious. The lean jetting makes it hard to start, but I will soon do all the mods to it. Nice seat on it, and typical honda fit and finish. Got an 04, so I got a pretty good trade. I can't wait to run-er. I love the "new" smell! Anyways, thanks for the help folks, and chances are I will post again regarding the bike with varrious mods, maintnence etc.. I gotta go look at it again. :cry:

oh, and tirebiter, thanks for the input. I run at 100-1000' elevation, usually 5-25 degrees celcious. I might use a 180mj, but first try a 175. anything is better than the stock 125!

• Haymaker

Posted December 04, 2004 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the shameless plug Bruce!

Yes, by all means, for you guys preparing to buy, or just bought, the brp, take a peek at my site. xr650r.us . It'll give you what you need in your quest for knowledge, and if you don't see what you're looking for I most likely have it.

Choose wisely, grasshoppah, before modding the ACV valve. There are two different mods floating around the web, both give a different final product, doers of each say that "their" way is the best. I have run into one of the bikes that had been done (cut the nipple of the valve) and it ran HORRIBLY. It's a 65 dollar fix if you go that route and don't like the results. The other is less invasive and can be done several ways. I have the info here if Bruce doesn't have it at his site.

My '00 pig has never had the mod, nor needed it. Proper jetting has eliminated all popping on decel.

The rest of the uncorking (jetting, needle, and all flow restrictions) is what is truly necessary. the Edelbrock is an expensive option in my book and I've no call for it.

E

Sounds like you have been reading but, If you missed the Pig Pen then it would be a great idea to read that whole site: http://www.xr650r.us/ The FAQ and the trouble spots is a must read.

• Techyawn

Posted December 05, 2004 - 11:29 AM

Just a thought about a new 650. My dealer called after receiving a bulletin from Honda about the oil pump not being primed and sure enough there were some serious scratches on the cylinder walls. Engine to be replaced. Might speak with your dealer about priming the pump before you run it for the first time.

• Haymaker

Posted December 05, 2004 - 02:11 PM

New 650L, not R. Different oil pump...........

E

• Techyawn

Posted December 05, 2004 - 07:13 PM

Oops, sorry! Thanks Hay!

:cry:

• 6fiddy

Posted December 06, 2004 - 02:47 PM

pro taper upper clamp w/1 1/8th fat bars made the Best improvement on the ''feel'' and eliminated all vibration ..59.00 on ebay!! the bars were 39.00 on ebay. my xr is so tricked out im ashamed of the ''mama dont know about"" money i spent on it.the bars and upper clamp are a HUGE value for the buck. Plus the stock bars bend sooo easy. Youll be bending them in no time. If your not wiping out now and then,your not riding the ol girl the way she REALLY wants it. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.