Need Help-Throttle cable

6 replies to this topic
  • jasonYZ426NC

Posted November 25, 2004 - 02:22 PM

I just changed out a broken throttle cable on my 02 426. I think I did everything right, but there are 2 problems: 1. the throttle doesn't return by itself, it seems to stick even after adjustment 2. my bike wouldn't start and kept backfiring when i was releasing compression. I think by twisting the throttle to try to get the adjustment/return corrected, I may have flooded the bike. I don't want to dig this hole deeper. Any suggestions??

• MXof21

Posted November 25, 2004 - 05:05 PM

Unhook the cables and make sure the carb operates smoothly by it's self. Assuming it does make sure that the cable operates smoothly when not on the carb, if it doesn't you have a problem with the throttle tube. Assuming the carb operates smoothly and the throttle tube operates smoothly make sure when you put it together the cables are snug but not overly tight. Hope this helps. Don't even try to start the bike if the throttle is not working correctly.

• BC3

Posted November 25, 2004 - 05:14 PM

loosen the rear cable (return) on the throttle assy (handle bar) adjust front cable ( pull ) so that you have some play and the throttle will close by itself..
now adjust the rear cable (rerturn ) so that the throttle will just return by
itself, no tighter....thats how you adjust the cables...if you still have a problem
make sure the throttle tube isn't pushed onto the bar too far and rubbing inside
causing the throttle to hang-up.....

BC :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz426onNOS

Posted November 25, 2004 - 06:07 PM

Did you route the cables correctly? To un-flood the bike just pull the decompression lever and kick it 20 times.

• jasonYZ426NC

Posted November 25, 2004 - 08:37 PM

Thank You!!! I'm going to check it out in the AM and I will report back.

• jasonYZ426NC

Posted November 28, 2004 - 04:24 PM

All is well, got the throttle cable adjusted properly...got out to the park and it wouldn't start, but taking out and cleaning the plug fixed her right up.

Thank you for your help!!!!!

• yz426onNOS

Posted November 28, 2004 - 05:40 PM

Glad we could help!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.