what brand of sprockets and chain?

28 replies to this topic
  • rljjredhed

Posted November 25, 2004 - 01:11 PM

03 450 needs new sprockets and chain, i don't race but ride on mx tracks 90% of the time, i am looking for a set that will hold up for a while best bang for the buck even if it isn't the fastest set

Thanks for the help and happy turkey day

• mikev7

Posted November 25, 2004 - 01:27 PM

I just changed mine to the cheap titax sproket/DID chain combo for like $60. I was trying to be frugal www.rockymountainatv.com and got the steel rear sproket so that it would last. I read a post here that showed one of titax sprokets being so poorly made that it broke into 5 peices while on the bike. It was the alloy ones. I don't think my super beefy steel rear sproket will brake on my on my 426 but compared to the renthal alloy sproket i had before, it's like 4 times heavier.

• bushy

Posted November 25, 2004 - 02:02 PM

JT steel sprockets with a Regina ORN chain. I put it on the bike in July, hasnt stretched once.

• BC3

Posted November 25, 2004 - 02:13 PM

I have seen some pretty $$$$ chain and sprocket combos...I have always used
good chains and sprockets but some of these guys are why too costly for a
trail rider like myself...stock sprockets are usually fine stock chains need to be
upgraded some.......

BC

• TimFurryBalls

Posted November 25, 2004 - 02:36 PM

Any quality o-ring chaing, DID, Regina, etc. and Ironman sprockets. Can't beat their 1 year garauntee. :cry:

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted November 25, 2004 - 02:53 PM

If you buy from Rocky Mountain, pass up their cheap HD chains, I've done nothing but adjust it over and over, for now on i stick with either D.I.D. or RK.
I agree with the Titax sprockets wearing well.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted November 25, 2004 - 03:19 PM

Iron man D.I.D x ring

• Satch0922

Posted November 25, 2004 - 04:13 PM

JT steel sprockets with a Regina ORN chain. I put it on the bike in July, hasnt stretched once.

WOW..ME TOO! I put a Regina ORN chain on in June and I have adjusted it one...yes one time. I ride MX almost every weekend so it has seen some abuse.

• smokin529

Posted November 25, 2004 - 07:43 PM

Only Renthal sprockets here with the Renthal R-1 chain...I gave up on expensive O-ring and X-ring chains...They out last the sprockets. I replace everything as a set. Last time I just replaced the sprockets, they only lasted about half as long.

• mxdream

Posted November 26, 2004 - 10:02 AM

spend the money, go with did glod chain and stick with the stock sprockets. used this combo for years it works awesome
mxdream

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2004 - 10:26 AM

The fact that a chain might outlast a set of sprockets is not a bad thing. Using Regina's premium gold O-ring chain, I have come to expect them to last more than a year. (The one on my old CR500 is still in use after 3 years) That is bang for the buck!

Any good stainless rear should wear well, but the Ironman units are one of the lightest. There are also some good ones made with a steel chainring on an alloy hub.

• condog_aus

Posted November 26, 2004 - 11:33 AM

You cant beat a good X ring like DID Ironman or RK. If your going to pay for O ring than spend a few extra dollars and get an Xring which is kinda like a double o ring. The seem to have a tad mor friction but last longer than some bikes. I like the laser cut steel sprockets for durability and they mesh nicely with smooth edges straight out of the packet. There is multiple blokes that have close to 10000km on KTM520 with these chain and sprockets and they still look like new. In Aus www.chaingang.com.au sell them and sell internationally.

• crazyYammi

Posted November 26, 2004 - 02:07 PM

I use primary drive non-oring stuff. The alloy rear is pretty light. I would rather just replace once a year than spend big bucks on a set that may or may not last.

• RCannon

Posted November 26, 2004 - 02:11 PM

I agree with the Titax sprokets. They appear to be as good as anything else. I dont like the Primary Drive chain. They advertise...OEM quality. I agree. Enough said.

• crazyYammi

Posted November 26, 2004 - 02:25 PM

The primary drive chain was way better than the oem DID. That was the biggest stretchingist piece of crap

• DoctorRzed

Posted November 26, 2004 - 02:36 PM

Get Primary Drive steal sprocks/chain combo $50 only :cry:
www.rockymountainmc.com

• VET_YZF_Rider

Posted November 27, 2004 - 06:41 AM

I've been using Renthal sprockets with a Regina gold o-ring
chain. Although this is not the least expensive combination,
this setup is well worth the money as it has performed and
lasted very well.
Besides checking with www.rockymountainmc.com you may
want to check with motosportoutlet.com as they both are
very competitive.

• Geezerx

Posted November 27, 2004 - 06:56 AM

I have used Sunstar sprockets for about 6 years. They wear very well and are readily available in my area.

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2004 - 11:01 AM

If your going to pay for O ring than spend a few extra dollars and get an Xring which is kinda like a double o ring. The seem to have a tad mor friction but last longer than some bikes.

I have to disagree with two points here. At least in SoCal, the DID X-ring is actually cheaper the the top of the line Regina (which, by the way, is also sold for even more money as the Renthal Gold chain).

The second thing is that the X-ring uses an o-ring that has a cross section like a "+" , instead of the typical round section o-rings. This SHOULD result in lower friction, at least the friction caused by the rings, because of the reduced contact of the rings against the plates. Nevertheless the Regina does seem to run a little freer.

Also, I decided to try a DID on the 250F, and so far, the Regina on my 450 is holding up better than the DID on the little bike.

• condog_aus

Posted November 27, 2004 - 11:58 AM

I have to disagree with two points here. At least in SoCal, the DID X-ring is actually cheaper the the top of the line Regina (which, by the way, is also sold for even more money as the Renthal Gold chain).

The second thing is that the X-ring uses an o-ring that has a cross section like a "+" , instead of the typical round section o-rings. This SHOULD result in lower friction, at least the friction caused by the rings, because of the reduced contact of the rings against the plates. Nevertheless the Regina does seem to run a little freer.

Also, I decided to try a DID on the 250F, and so far, the Regina on my 450 is holding up better than the DID on the little bike.

Give the back wheel a spin by hand and you will know what i mean about friction. But with 51 ponies that friction is so insignificant anyway. Im wondering if your Regina is holding up better because of the conditions you ride in rather than the fact its a not X-ring. Any ways each to there own. For me its X-ring all the way. :cry: :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.