What do I need to replace the crankcases?

5 replies to this topic
  • BoffoRider

Posted November 25, 2004 - 10:13 AM

I bent in the bottom of one of my crankcases and it leaks oil like crazy. I am resigned to the fact that I am going to have to replace them. Besides the cases themselves, what parts, if any, will I also have to replace (ie gaskets etc)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,
Bofforider

• YZDAD1

Posted November 25, 2004 - 10:29 AM

You may be able to save/repair them. Don't give up so soon, can you post pictures or describe the damage?

• BC3

Posted November 25, 2004 - 12:19 PM

You may be able to save/repair them. Don't give up so soon, can you post pictures or describe the damage?

YZ DAD is right I have repaired broken cases before, depending on how bad the
damage is a cofident TIG welder can repair the damage and you won't have to
replace them.....Pictures would help me tell you more...don't get your hopes up
because if their broken near or on a gasket surface (seam) your going to have to replace the cases.....but if its just a crack in the case itself, you can patch it up with a TIG repair......

http://img.photobuck.../caserepair.jpg BC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoffoRider

Posted November 25, 2004 - 01:35 PM

The case is not so much broken but bent. I must of come down hard on a rock somewhere because the bottom of the left case, about an inch and a half in front of the drain plug is pushed/bent up. The right side is still fine but the two sides don't match up on the seam/gasket surface. Is it possible to beat it back into alignment with the "good" side?

Thanks,
Bofforider

• BC3

Posted November 25, 2004 - 02:08 PM

Probably not......

• yz426onNOS

Posted November 25, 2004 - 06:10 PM

Yoo a complete gasket kit. I also suggest you do all the seals while your in there. Maybe a top end if it has been a while.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.