How do I remove stripped screws on carb?

13 replies to this topic
  • DoctorRzed

Posted November 25, 2004 - 04:07 AM

I wanted to take my carb apart and clean the carb but I found that all the screws are stripprd. Any ideas how to get them out?

• mtrdrms

Posted November 25, 2004 - 05:12 AM

I had the same problem on my float bowl screws. I had to pinch then with small vice grips and if that doesnt work try notching them so you can use a big flat head screwdriver. Use the same size alan screws to replace them. I havent had a prob since.

• yzf450jack

Posted November 25, 2004 - 09:02 AM

Put your screw driver on the head of the screw now smack the screw driver with a hammer :cry:

• DoctorRzed

Posted November 25, 2004 - 11:26 AM

The screw is to stripped to even do that.

• BC3

Posted November 25, 2004 - 11:38 AM

I had the same problem on my float bowl screws. I had to pinch then with small vice grips and if that doesnt work try notching them so you can use a big flat head screwdriver. Use the same size alan screws to replace them. I havent had a prob since.

This is the only way your going to get them out now that their wollowed out..

BC :cry:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 25, 2004 - 11:49 AM

after you get them out replace them with hex screws.

• yz426onNOS

Posted November 25, 2004 - 06:20 PM

Put your screw driver on the head of the screw now smack the screw driver with a hammer :cry:

That frees up the rust and corosion. Also use some penatraiting oil. You might have to use an easy out. Or drill them. A stud welder would work awesome!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smokin529

Posted November 25, 2004 - 07:56 PM

Mine did the same thing...Smallest vice-grips wouldn't fit...drilled off heads....Vice-Grips fit after I drilled heads off and got float bowl out of the way. Just be sure to clean out the carb extremely well before you put it back together with a little anti-seize on threads of the new bolts/screws.

• smokin529

Posted November 25, 2004 - 07:58 PM

You can also use a left handed drill bit (got mine from the Snap-On guy). Nine times out of ten you never make it all the way through with the drill before the screw breaks loose..

• beezer

Posted November 26, 2004 - 05:29 AM

I take a hack saw blade and make a slot across the screw head and use a flat blade screwdriver. Sometimes you have to break a piece off of the blade and use a vice grips to hold it.

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted November 28, 2004 - 03:44 PM

Either needle nose vice grips or just use a drill running in reverse and apply pressure. It will slowly chew the material away and also back the screw out

• curtis515s

Posted November 28, 2004 - 04:44 PM

Go to Sears. Craftsman makes a tool called the screw out. It costs about
$ 20.00 and has 3 different sizes. This is the best tool for this.

• wrooster

Posted November 28, 2004 - 05:07 PM

http://losdos.dyndns.../extractor-set/

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• Yamaha_004

Posted November 30, 2004 - 05:44 PM

Yeah the best way is with vice grips it happened to me with thoes stupid brass screws ! it helps if you bring all of your screws to a local hardware store and tell them to match them exactley to allen Wrench heads you wont be sorry. :cry: best of luck to you :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.