WR426 Gearing (again)

5 replies to this topic
  • Steviejay01

Posted November 25, 2004 - 02:02 AM

Ok lost the post in the rebuild!!

Mine is for Road use (been converted to a supermoto so it has 17 inch rubber on it), at the moment the gearing is 14-40, not had much of a chance to get out of late and try it out (bought it a few weeks ago)

Whats the best gearing for the road....wanna be able to do maybe 100mph but cruise at 70-80mph so as to not stress the old block.

Ta chaps. :cry:

• Hamish

Posted November 25, 2004 - 03:00 AM

i'd go 15 up front and see how that goes. Whats it good for on the limiter in top with your current gearing?

• Steviejay01

Posted November 25, 2004 - 03:27 AM

Dunno really till I get a proper speedo fitted!
I'm kinda hoping someone will have a sorted one out there somewhere!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted November 25, 2004 - 11:47 AM

not many ppl in this forum have motard wheels. If you measure the rolling diameter of the rear wheel you can work it out using the gear ratios in the workshop manual

• captain_S

Posted November 25, 2004 - 12:25 PM

Been using a 14/42 set up on a 01-426 with 17"wheels and its not to bad,but to crack the ton comfortably with this gearing is maybe askin a bit much,how ever a 14/40 i would think will manage it ok,but you will find that lower down throttle response will suffer due to the taller gearing,and the clutch will need to be used a little more often to lift the front(as you do :cry: ),and make the motor work a tad harder low down on tall gearing,but you will not be far off the mark with a 14/40 set up,take it oot for a blast an see how it feels! :cry: :cry:

• Steviejay01

Posted November 26, 2004 - 12:54 AM

Cool I'll get a new chain and sprocket set, 14/42.

Ta :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.