Buying used YZ or WR 426 comparison TIPS?

10 replies to this topic
  • olskool

Posted November 24, 2004 - 06:06 PM

[COLOR=RoyalBlue] I'm looking to buy a used Yamaha 426/450 and want advice. I'm dual sporting this bike just to be street legal, but it'll be primarily a dirt bike. Comparing WR and YZ's tranmissions. Is there really that much difference. I'm sure they'll both pull my big arse around. I don't ride like a flying demon. I'll be scrambling pipelines and woods. Looked at lots of bikes so far, and found a nice 01 YZ426F already all fixed up for 3K. What I want to know, is a WR that much different that I should hold out for one over a nice YZ? The amount of YZ's to WR's for sale is about 5 to 1, so there's not that many WR's in my area to look at.[/COLOR]

• Satch0922

Posted November 25, 2004 - 05:44 AM

my "opinion"? Get the YZ. If nothing else it is a lighter bike and you will appreciate that at the end of the day.

• yz426onNOS

Posted November 25, 2004 - 06:39 PM

Get a 01 yz and up. You can put lights on the yz.

• mtrdrms

Posted November 25, 2004 - 07:11 PM

If you are going to do any street riding, save yourself the hastle of installing lights and a starter and get a WR. Wide Ratio makes a huge difference on the street.

• olskool

Posted November 25, 2004 - 08:10 PM

I've been looking at a nice 01 YZ426F that's already been dual sported for 3K. It's been ridden less than 1000 miles. 200 since the kit. Good looking bike, but I can't seem to bring myself to commit. Need advice right away so I can make a decision.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz426onNOS

Posted November 25, 2004 - 08:23 PM

If it is allready done up and in good condition and is a good price, WTH are you waiting for?

• oldbones

Posted November 27, 2004 - 08:30 PM

You want the five speed.

• ttr125smms120

Posted November 27, 2004 - 08:35 PM

id go with the wr, you will want that wide ratio when youre on the streets, plus its good in the woods

• Hick

Posted November 28, 2004 - 01:41 AM

Comparing WR and YZ's tranmissions. Is there really that much difference.[/COLOR][/B]

Huge difference in the respective transmissions.

First gear on the WR would be at home on your average tractor, YZ first is a whopping 31% taller. This is a huge advantage for the WR on any tight trail, the WR can engine brake and find traction in conditions where the YZ cooks its back brake and wears out its clutch.

Up top, for the 426/400 the WR is going to be 12% faster w/ the same final gearing, but nearly 20% taller than the 450's 4th gear.

No amount of sprocket changing can turn one bike into the other in this respect so I think it is the most important consideration.

Also, 450 or 426 the WR is a pig relative to the YZ, probably a 20 lb. difference depending on setup etc. for any model year, but keep in mind that about a third of these pounds can be easily shed, esp. on the 426 which has no battery or starter. Of course the YZ 450 is much lighter than a 426, I think the WR 450 is w/in a few lbs. of the WR 426 despite the battery and starter. Lots of other improvements to the 450, get one if you can afford it.

Hope this helps.

• Scooter426

Posted November 28, 2004 - 06:45 AM

the wr first gear is lower, and 5th gear is higher. much better on the street. You will like the lighting coil, starter, kickstand, radiator catch can, etc. The WR can be made into an MX bike much more easily than a YZ can be made into a street bike (much cheaper too)

• olskool

Posted November 28, 2004 - 08:22 AM

I passed on the 01 YZ. It was already dual sported, but I'm going to hold out for a like new 04 WR450F. That YZ's at Barnhart Yamaha in Pa. if anyone's interested.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.