SDG Seat on WR426

31 replies to this topic
  • sirhk

Posted July 23, 2001 - 10:46 AM

Will you be around tomorrow, Tue., evening? I'll cruise up (or actually I guess more like crawl up in traffic) and return your tank and seat after work. I ordered my yellow Clarke tank about 5 minutes ago over the phone and they said it'll ship out tomorrow. How long did it take to get yours? Do you remember? I already put my stock stuff back on so I'm good to go this weekend for the track but it would be cool to get the new one on.

"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• LarryCO

Posted July 23, 2001 - 01:54 PM

About how much lower to the ground to you appear to be? Another issue for me is actually being able to touch the ground with both feet while going over the technical stuff (I'm 5'8" on a good day). When I dont have the 2x4's strapped to the bottom of my feet, I sometimes have problems (just kidding).

I'd buy this setup today if it lowered my seated riding position by as little as 1" and improved cornering (which it appears to have done)...

Please advise.

P.S. Who's getting the commission $ from all of this advertising? :)

• sirhk

Posted July 23, 2001 - 02:24 PM

I can say from borrowing Ron's stock WR tank and Guts (I think) seat for my YZ that my stock YZ seat and tank are at least an 1" lower, probably more. BUT, I'm not sure that Ron's Guts seat is stock WR ride height. It seams real tall and cushy and if it is the stock ride height, I'm sorry for all you WR riders out there.

"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• Chukkar

Posted July 23, 2001 - 06:47 PM

I lowered my front forks .300" and installed the SDG seat. I am 5'9" and can now almost touch the groud flat footed. The bike also turns much much better. Now I need to do something about that worthless stock front tire. Any suggestions or favorites? I'm considering the Michelin m12 any comments?

01 WR426, YZ timed, SDG seat, YZ tank, YZ rear fender, Grey wire removed, 13t countershaft sprocket.

• LarryCO

Posted July 24, 2001 - 04:51 AM

Thanks Chukkar. I think I'll upgrade myself to that same setup. It sure will be nice being able to almost touch the ground when you need to. I'm tired of bending/breaking clutch/brake levers what seems to be almost every other ride...mostly from going less that a few mph and just being unable to touch the ground before the bike is about 1/2 way over. Having only started riding just a few months ago, I suck, but I dont suck that bad! :)

Regarding your tire question, there was a good tire discussion a few weeks ago, but I couldnt seem to find it using a search. You might try yourself and see if you can have any better luck.

Thanks for the advice and goodbye 2x4's on the feet! :D

2001 WR426

• Scott_F

Posted July 24, 2001 - 05:35 AM

I read somewhere recently that Acerbis is having a sale on the early tanks, '98-99. I think they are $100.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted July 24, 2001 - 12:34 PM

They're website shows $176.00 as their "new low price"...anywhere else to check?

'98 WR400, S-3B Viking

• LC4Ryan2

Posted July 24, 2001 - 01:05 PM

Chukkar,the Michelin M12 is an excellent tire front and rear. I have gone through several now. If you ride in really rocky conditions, the tall center knobs will rip off on the front tire after 2 or 3 long rides. The tire wears its edges well, but Im trying a Bridgestone M77 Hard Terrain motocross tire right now, which I like better in the mostly rocky singletrack trails we ride in the summer. I believe the Michelins also have stiffer sidewalls so the rocks wont dent your front wheel as much

1995 EXC 400
AMA Dist 37

• Jason_in_KC

Posted July 26, 2001 - 04:55 AM

Butta, check the Acerbis site again, go to sale items, then closeouts. The original price was 96-105 bucks.

• funktree

Posted July 27, 2001 - 05:58 AM

does anyone sell a small aftermarket tank? It seems all the ones I see for sale are around 3.3 gallons. The stock yz tank only holds 2.1 according to the yamaha web site. Do you have to go OEM for a small tank? I would like to have a small tank for racing mx, and keep my stock wr tank for trails and other longer rides.

• Flying_Solo

Posted July 27, 2001 - 06:39 AM

I have NEVER seen any stock capacity aftermarket YZF tanks. I spent a long time trying to find one...Never did. Checked ACERBIS, CLARKE, IMS, CYCRA (sp?). Unless you have anymore resources to check...S.O.L.

• Unkle_Moose

Posted July 27, 2001 - 08:11 AM

Hey FUNKTREE Try doing your own topic post on both WR & YZ side. Name your topic "WANTED STOCK YZ(year and model)GAS TANK. There should be someone willing to sell theirs. Good Luck

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.