XR 600 Twin Carbs

8 replies to this topic
  • bz774

Posted November 24, 2004 - 07:47 AM

I have just rebuilt my bike from the frame up.
Cranks first kick, runs great, but only idles w/
choke 1/2 on. Too lean?? Jets too small now??
Any info on the jets and/or clip positions appreciated.

86' XR 600R
Bored .50 over
stock manifold
Cobra exhaust
Drilled airbox
Oversized K&N
Elevation 10 Ft
Twin 28mm carbs
Mix screw 1 1/2

I pulled the jets and found:
(2) #122 Main jets
#45 Slow jet

ANY help is appreciated.
Thanks

• Roll_it_on

Posted November 24, 2004 - 08:39 AM

I can't help with the proper jet sizes but if it will only run with the choke half on then for sure your problem is that it is to lean. If it runs fine up higher in the rpm range then I would think something is up with your low speed circuit. Maybe something got plugged in one of your pilot jets or perhaps look for any air leaks around the intake manifold which would lean out the bike.

• bz774

Posted November 26, 2004 - 06:35 PM

Thanks,

Anyone else?

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 26, 2004 - 09:10 PM

I'm going to help keep this one at the top. My dad has an '84 XL600 w/a 628, filter and Supertrapp that he just got put back together and running today. He has the same problem. It wont run without about 1/2 choke. I was just on here searching for info and all I came up with was one recommendation for 48/125 jets on both carbs and maybe raising the needles. Can anyone confirm? 2000-4000ft, btw.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted November 26, 2004 - 09:22 PM

Too lean on the low speed circuit, possible air leak, pilot jet too small, dirt or varnish clogging jets or carb passages.

• grreatdog

Posted November 27, 2004 - 05:37 AM

My XL did that from rust migrating out of the tank. Try cleaning the idle circuits and pilots. Remember that it is easier said than done. The passages are tiny and must be blown out with compressed air. Soaking and blasting with carb cleaner generally will not do the trick. Canned air for computer cleaning is a good choice.

• CrackiN

Posted November 27, 2004 - 05:42 AM

Check the air mixture screw....I think it should be 2- 2 1/2 turns out from seated (Counter clockwise)....The fewer turns from closed or seated the richer it will be....

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 27, 2004 - 09:52 PM

I'm trying really hard not to hijack this thread, but what if the primary carb doesnt have a removeable slow jet, just a mixture screw and main jet?

• bz774

Posted November 28, 2004 - 06:56 PM

I went with (2) 128 mains and cleaned the (45) slow jet again.
I cleaned some grease off the tapered air screw and
everything runs great. Gained alot more power as well.

Thanks to all who helped.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.