Suspension Advice

5 replies to this topic
  • Stroken

Posted November 24, 2004 - 06:59 AM

My buddy and I both upgraded from 03 450's to 05 450's. From what I understand, our bikes come from the factory set up for 180lbs riders. I weigh 200-210 and my buddy weighs 230lbs (fat a$$es :cry: ) We ride mostly whooped out desert trails and some track. Along with long streches of deep whoops, we hit some fairly large jumps.

I was told the other day that my stock suspension is not giving me even close to the ride that it should. I need to know what steps I need to take to get this ride. I've read several posts on changing springs, valves, etc.

Please give me advice as to where to start....
Do I replace both fork springs and the rear?
How do I know what spring to get?
Do I re-valve as well?
Can I do it myself or do I have to send them somewhere?
What are the costs involved in getting the right set up?

I appreciate any advice....

• Thumper38

Posted November 24, 2004 - 07:22 AM

Having it set up right will make a huge difference, it will probally cost you around $450.00 to 500.00 for everything and that is if you have it done. You can probally do it yourself cheaper!

• gonzo

Posted November 24, 2004 - 10:44 AM

If you want call my buddy Eric Trost at He'll set you up good. He's not that expensive either. For springs and valving its 200 bucks an end. If you mention I sent you he'll give you 10% off. He is very good at what he does.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • craft

Posted November 24, 2004 - 12:33 PM

Spending the cash is worth it, but in the meantime here's a good resource to help make the best of what you have.

• beezer

Posted November 24, 2004 - 12:41 PM

I bought an 05 YZ250 and I weigh 210 pounds. I called Factory Connection and bought springs front and rear. I asked if a revalve was needed. I was told it wasn't. The suspension is good enough stock. They said to lessen the compression dampening and add some rebound with the clickers and the bike would be fine.

I was told I would really happy with the 05 suspensions.

• Derekj426

Posted November 24, 2004 - 10:04 PM

For the 05, I would just say go get it resprung, don't worry about the revalve. Save money and you'll get what is needed from the suspension.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.