wr426 in the rocks

4 replies to this topic
  • koyaanisqatsi

Posted July 13, 2001 - 03:58 PM

Anyone have any experience riding the wr in the tight nasty rocks of PA and New England? How's it work? I'm an intermediate rider. Will it make me happy? Thanks

• Gobbler801

Posted July 13, 2001 - 04:11 PM

I live in AZ, and we have alot of rocky trails here. I set my suspension up softer, and mine works great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Jason

Posted July 13, 2001 - 04:36 PM

Koy,
I am in Pa, I ride in Mid east to mid state Pa, I know all about the rocks man. The thing with the WR is it is a very tunable bike that can performe very well in a broad range of conditions. Once you get it tuned in the right area, its a dream bike. For the rocks, set the suspension light, and give it a 13 tooth counter sprocket, keep the speed up in 2nd gear for the loose rolling type power/pipe line type gooners, and you can use the power to flatten that stuff! With the 13 tooth it works very nice on the moutain goat slipery woods stuff and goes over downed trees and rail roads nicely with the right momentem and clutch / throttle work. The hardest part about riding this bike is tuning it! This site WILL get you dialed in with that stuff! I just got my 99 WR 400 one month ago, and the first ride was disapointing and scary! My last big ride, I made the changes in order and am still not %100 dialed in, but am in the ball park and very happy with the bike. I was so fast and nimble in the tight nasty stuff I had to turn around to find the rest of the guys I went out with all piled up in the woods waving the white flag and turning back.

• YamaCazi

Posted July 16, 2001 - 04:11 AM

Strongly Agree with Jason, I do alot of mountian riding. It took me a good 4 or five rides to get my suspension dialed in but now that I have my WR is a pure mountain machine. Loose Rocks and steep terrain are no match for it. This past weekend I experimented with tire pressures and found that where others were taking "Soil Samples" because of front end washouts and breaking traction that 9.5 lbs of front and 10 in the rear made my WR stick to the trails like glue. Man I love this Bike....Just wish it was a little lighter....

Bonzai...... :)

• c2

Posted July 16, 2001 - 05:04 AM

I second what Yamacazi said. Experiment with the tire pressures. I love the 739 front in the hard and rocky. I bought a 756 front for that type of riding and was very unhappy.

Originally posted by YamaCazi:
Strongly Agree with Jason, I do alot of mountian riding. It took me a good 4 or five rides to get my suspension dialed in but now that I have my WR is a pure mountain machine. Loose Rocks and steep terrain are no match for it. This past weekend I experimented with tire pressures and found that where others were taking "Soil Samples" because of front end washouts and breaking traction that 9.5 lbs of front and 10 in the rear made my WR stick to the trails like glue. Man I love this Bike....Just wish it was a little lighter....

Bonzai...... :)

[This message has been edited by c2 (edited 07-17-2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.