Is 113 octane unleaded ok for a 04 yz450f?

14 replies to this topic
  • OneLow64Caddy

Posted November 23, 2004 - 08:02 PM

i just got an 04 yz450f and the manual says 95 octane and up but it 113 too much?

• FFRacing79

Posted November 23, 2004 - 08:36 PM

For a stock motor...YES!

• OneLow64Caddy

Posted November 23, 2004 - 09:19 PM

will it harm the bike though?i have 5 gallons of 113 already.should i not use it or mix it with some 91?

• Wyatt

Posted November 23, 2004 - 09:23 PM

It will be fine. I have run 110 through mine since day one.

• yz426onNOS

Posted November 23, 2004 - 09:23 PM

It will be fine.

• 226DAD

Posted November 24, 2004 - 07:32 AM

It won't hurt anything, but it will not increase performace either. Higher octane does not equal higher energy potential. Ultimate 4 is only 93 octane.

• Wyatt

Posted November 24, 2004 - 07:36 AM

I also have never believed that I got a performance increase by burning it. I have an outlet to get it a a very reasonanble price and I believe that the quality and consistency of the fuel is much greater than what I can get out of some Exxon gas pump.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2004 - 09:50 AM

Let me post this link again. It explains the whole question very well, and as technical as it is, you really can read it.

http://www.faqs.org/...line-faq/part3/

:cry:

• BC3

Posted November 25, 2004 - 05:27 PM

will it harm the bike though?i have 5 gallons of 113 already.should i not use it or mix it with some 91?

I would mix it with pump gas maybe 50/50 with 92.......113 has a slower flame front to reduce detonation from very high compression, which as Tryce said
your stocker doesn't need.........In fact it will probably run faster with
the 92 pump gas........

To obtain the maximum energy from the gasoline, the compressed fuel-air
mixture inside the combustion chamber needs to burn evenly,

Quote from your artical......you answered your own question
slower burning fuel, not for stockers........

BC

• gonzo

Posted November 26, 2004 - 06:36 AM

If your gonna run race gas run U4 or MR2 or what ever else is oxygenated. Higher octane that 95 loses power period. I know I am going to start crap and lots of people are going to become rocket scientists/factory mechanics but go ride your bike with 113 and see. Its now slower.

• SBRacing

Posted November 26, 2004 - 08:00 AM

the higher your compression the higher the octane you will need not to detonate
for 12.3:1 any pump super is fine
for 13.5:1 and up you SHOULD use race gas
will it hurt your bike to run higher ...no
but its a wast of money ..burn what you got then stay with pump super till you do work to the bike

• BC3

Posted November 28, 2004 - 01:02 PM

When I was at the "All Harley Fun Drags" years ago I had forgotten my gas jug
back at home, I made several passes to get a "Dial In Time" and had to borrow
some fuel from one of the other Racers........I asked what he had in the can
and he replied Av-Gas......Not being too familiar with "Av Gas" I just filled my tank.....Well it ended up being 115/145 octane and my bike was running 170
lbs cranking pressure compression and ran so slow I got blown away by guys that I usually beat :cry: It was the gas that slowed my bike up....still ran OK
but not as crisp as with the regular pump gas I jetted it with.......
Turned out to be a wasted weekend both ego and money wise....learned a good lesson that day. DON"T BORROW FUEL FROM ANYONE unless its for your ride home...

BC :cry:

• rebel1916

Posted November 28, 2004 - 10:09 PM

its awful expensive to run vp or cam 2 or whatever. mix it 2 parts premium pump gas to 1 part expensive ass race gass and youll be fine

• vetthump

Posted November 28, 2004 - 11:43 PM

I work at a race shop and the techs all agree that the stock yzf is designed for pump gas, race gas is a total waste of money. make sure you go to a BRANDED station, (one owned by an oil company, that has to run quality gas) and you should be fine.
Modded yzf's, on the other hand, (high comp. piston, cams, ignitions,) will benefit from higher octane. But no race gas can equal the oxygenated fuels like ultimate 4, because they actually MAKE horsepower.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 29, 2004 - 06:20 AM

I work at a race shop and the techs all agree that the stock yzf is designed for pump gas, race gas is a total waste of money. make sure you go to a BRANDED station, (one owned by an oil company, that has to run quality gas) and you should be fine.
Modded yzf's, on the other hand, (high comp. piston, cams, ignitions,) will benefit from higher octane. But no race gas can equal the oxygenated fuels like ultimate 4, because they actually MAKE horsepower.

Finally some "GOOD" advice on octane and race gas..... :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.