22mm front spinal hex/allen (uk peeps)

8 replies to this topic
  • dangermouse007

Posted November 23, 2004 - 09:13 AM

ok boys where do you get a 22mm allen/hex for the front spindal :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted November 23, 2004 - 09:46 AM

You mean a 22mm socket? I got mine at halfords superstore cause i was in a hurry, but would try to find one from brittool if i was all classy and organized.

EDIT: do you mean for the hexagonal hole? You dont need to worry about that. All you need is a 22mm socket for the nut and 10mm spinner/wrench. just undo the bolts and nut and push the spindle from the threaded side and it slides out.

• dangermouse007

Posted November 24, 2004 - 02:00 AM

cheers for that ... worked it out last night..

• Hamish

Posted November 24, 2004 - 02:33 AM

even though u have it sussed heres a tip for you guys when you need a large hex key. Find a bolt whose head is the same size as the hex fastner you are trying to work with. Put 2 nuts on the thread of the bolt and lock them together. Then you can use a normal socket or spanner to undo the fitting. Cheap and quick :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dangermouse007

Posted November 24, 2004 - 09:09 AM

Excellent Tip many thanks..

• RichBaker

Posted November 24, 2004 - 12:29 PM

even though u have it sussed heres a tip for you guys when you need a large hex key. Find a bolt whose head is the same size as the hex fastner you are trying to work with. Put 2 nuts on the thread of the bolt and lock them together. Then you can use a normal socket or spanner to undo the fitting. Cheap and quick :cry:

Even better, find a cheap socket you can hammer over the threads and you have an Allen socket..... :cry:
I learned that one a couple years ago when I needed a 27mm allen. An 18mm bolt+spark plug socket worked great!

• Jackazz

Posted November 24, 2004 - 01:10 PM

If I remember correctly, the "spark plug wrench" that comes with the bike has an end that fits the axle.

A trick I learned when roadracing from another racer is that alot of times the outside "hex" end of a spark plug socket will fit in the axle, all you have to do is pull out the rubber grommet inside the socket & put the socket onto an extension backwards. I think this works for alot of Kawasaki's forks as well (they use Kayaba too don't they?).

• Jackazz

Posted December 09, 2004 - 09:03 AM

Update:

I was wrenching in the garage last nigt & checked... the backside (hex end) of a craftsman 5/8" spark plug socket (which, BTW is the socket that fits the WR plug) fits the front axle perfectly.

• Endurordr

Posted December 09, 2004 - 09:54 AM

Update:

I was wrenching in the garage last nigt & checked... the backside (hex end) of a craftsman 5/8" spark plug socket (which, BTW is the socket that fits the WR plug) fits the front axle perfectly.

To bad I didn't see this post eariler as I've been using this trick since I got my bike. Amazing what you can find out in a 'pinch'.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.