How to adjust rear sag on '87 XR600

1 reply to this topic
  • StevePSD

Posted November 22, 2004 - 06:17 PM

Just geting back into dirt bikes after a 20 year gap (lots of street bikes in between though!) and need to know how to set the rear sag correctly on my '87 XR600. I have the factory service manual, but it says to refer to the owners manual on how to correctly set it (I'm 230lbs in gear).

So...how do I set this?

Also, the service manual says to set chain tension by supporting the rear wheel off the ground and mesure the slack in the chain at the mid-point on the upper chain - it should be between 1 3/8" - 1 3/4". Does this sound right or ....?

Thanks for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don87xr600

Posted November 22, 2004 - 08:00 PM

Lift the bike on a stand, measure from the rear axle to a point straight up from the axle. make the same measurement with your gear on while standing on the pegs off the stand of course. You'l need one or two other people to help. On to measure and one to steady the bike perhaps. This measurement should be 100 mm less than the original measurement. or about 3 7/8 inches less. to increase the difference in the two numbers decrease the preload. To reduce the difference increase the preload. the stock spring for your bike is 9.8 . I run an 11 and weigh about 205. You'll probably need an 11.5.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.