Still Backfires...

4 replies to this topic
  • yamahar7

Posted November 22, 2004 - 10:00 AM

I have an 03 XR650R with full Moriwaki S/S exhaust, stock airbox, running 68 and 175 main woth needle in 3rd position. Well the thing is still backfiring upon deceleration.

Would you guys recommend going to the 4th position or just keep going up on the main?

thanks

• TimBrp

Posted November 22, 2004 - 10:05 AM

First Pull the snorkel and plastic insert restrictors from your "stock" airbox. Then I'd toss in a Uni filter. Next if you have the stock needle put the clip in the 4th position down. Depending on your location and temperature, your jetting should be fine. In the summer I'd run the 175/68s, but in winter, below 50* I'd run a 178 main possibly even a 70 pilot. Give us some more geography info as to where you live. Once you change the clip position, check that your fuel screw is 1 1/2 turns out from "lightly" seated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamahar7

Posted November 22, 2004 - 10:12 AM

First Pull the snorkel and plastic insert restrictors from your "stock" airbox. Then I'd toss in a Uni filter. Next if you have the stock needle put the clip in the 4th position down. Depending on your location and temperature, your jetting should be fine. In the summer I'd run the 175/68s, but in winter, below 50* I'd run a 178 main possibly even a 70 pilot. Give us some more geography info as to where you live. Once you change the clip position, check that your fuel screw is 1 1/2 turns out from "lightly" seated.

I live in Southern California, so it's sunny and warm all the time and I'm about 75ft from sea level, according to the GPS. I did forget to mention though that the fuel screw is 1 1/2 turns out. I'll do the airbox mods tonight. thanks for the info Tim! :cry:

• TimBrp

Posted November 22, 2004 - 12:06 PM

Well is this bike a California model? Then you would have all the emissions junk on it too. That needs to go. However, I'm not familiar with that apparatus. If you're at sea level or just above 175/178 main and a 68s w/ the stock needle in the 4th clip should be fine. Good luck, let us know how you make out. For future reference check out this site The Pig Pen . Our BRP Guru Qadsan developed this for us Pig junkies. Seems to have worked for me so far. :cry:

• jws

Posted November 22, 2004 - 01:02 PM

if all your uncorking mods are done try a 178 main :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.