help with stripped lower oil drain plug

6 replies to this topic
  • rljjredhed

Posted November 21, 2004 - 07:21 PM

yes i am a idiot i guess i have previously overtightened it because it stripped today with barely any pressure today, is there a kit or a sleeve out there or do i have to tap it, any tips would be appreciated thanks

• yzf450jack

Posted November 21, 2004 - 07:46 PM

Go down to you local auto parts store and get a HeliCoil kit :cry: :cry:

• yz_for_me

Posted November 21, 2004 - 08:10 PM

You might also try a Time-Sert. I've never personally used one, but I've heard good things about them. Time Sert web site

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2004 - 10:56 PM

Use a Time-Sert. Heli-Coil is good. Time-Serts are the next step forward. :cry:

• krotchwaffle

Posted November 23, 2004 - 01:45 PM

i used a helicoil in my bike a couple years ago. it still works, but it leaks a bit. not quite like a harley, but i have to put a pan under the bike so it doesn't stain. if it gives me any more trouble, i'm going to use a timesert because i've heard they don't leak (might be wrong though).

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2004 - 02:57 PM

The most common reason that things like Heli-Coiled drain holes leak is that the hole first drilled to remove the damaged threads was not drilled straight, followed closely by the tap for the coil itself being run in at an angle (which is less likely in deeper holes, but still possible if not careful).

In order to seal, the washer bearing face of the drain plug must be square with the case it fits in so as to clamp the washer all the way around. If it isn't, it's hard to keep them from drooling. Since the drilled hole is the only thing that controls this, it has to run in as squarely as possible, and that's harder to do that it looks.

This same mistake can also be made with a Time-Sert, but the fact that the top of the hole is counterbored in the process using the repair-drilled hole as a pilot makes it far less likely, even if the hole is a little off of square with the original. Plus, the shoulder of the Time-Sert can be crushed as the bolt tightens, giving a little "wiggle room". Be careful to run the tap in as straight as you can, and the design will forgive a lot more than Heli-Coils will. :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted November 23, 2004 - 09:36 PM

make sure you get the propper size and type aswell.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.