05 WR450F free mods & altitude...

7 replies to this topic
  • bvd

Posted November 21, 2004 - 07:40 AM

Hi all... I just picked up an 05 WR450F yesterday and was going to work on the free mods today... I have a couple questions...

If I am not in CA will my bike still have the smog crap (air pump)? How can I tell if mine has it?

Does yamaha ship these bikes with the same jetting no matter what part of the country they ship to? If I remove the exhaust insert and the air box snorkle and I live at ride above 6000' all the time do you think the jetting will be pretty close? Opening it all up should give it more air, which I would think it would need up here...

Any reccomendations on the grey wire and blue wire mods at my altitudes?

What do you all think...

05 WR450F
96 YZ250 - for sale
96 XR400 - for sale
My other ride is an 02 RV-8A! - www.rv8a.com

• bvd

Posted November 22, 2004 - 10:15 AM

I was also wondering if anyone had any pointers on breakin?

• Texas4play

Posted November 22, 2004 - 12:33 PM

Air pump post link: http://www.thumperta...&highlight=pump

Also, the gray wire wakes up the ignition mapping from the cdi box. Gray wire = WR
Disconnect gray wire = YZ. Bottom line = disconnect it (for better performance).

Also, see this link for more mod info: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=199514

Also, Thumper Talk has a helpful search engine that you can utilize for further research. Alot of the '05 topics are covered.

• bvd

Posted November 22, 2004 - 12:58 PM

I guess the grey wire mod doesn't need jetting changes?

What do you know abot the "blue wire" mod?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Texas4play

Posted November 22, 2004 - 01:20 PM

There is no blue wire mod that I know of. At your elevation you might be able to squeak by with the stock jetting and disconnecting the gray wire and maybe some fuel mix adjusting. If not, get the JD kit. Let us know. I'm riding Ouray in the spring and curious to how this works out for you.

• bvd

Posted November 22, 2004 - 01:23 PM

I have the JD jet kit on order... Are there any guides to jetting these things?

• TWSimpson

Posted November 22, 2004 - 03:15 PM

Most of the time, the dealer will jet for altitude. Historically these bikes run a little lean. You've also got to take into account the temp. Just follow the instructions in the JD Kit and you'll be very happy! :cry:
By the way, congrats on the new ride.
Tom :cry:

• bvd

Posted November 23, 2004 - 06:42 AM

Thanks! Now if it wasn't so cold I could go ride it!! :cry:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.