Looped the BRP today

8 replies to this topic
  • CAM2R

Posted November 20, 2004 - 09:14 PM

Well it finally happened this afternoon. On my third attempt up a hill, I saw that pretty red fender WAY over my head with lots of blue sky behind it. The advice given to me prior to this climb - "stay on the gas, and stay way up on the tank" Now if I would just stay on the bike :cry:

All in all I was lucky that the bike didn't land on me, but we had a wrestling match to the ground which was thankfully some very soft dirt. No band-aids or broken parts so this was a nice little lesson - and some pretty good entertainment for the guys I was riding with today.

• bakeray

Posted November 21, 2004 - 12:02 AM

Did you get the same feeling I got just before you went over....The little voice in your head that says "UH Oh...you on your own now, Im bailing off" hehehehe

• needsprayer

Posted November 21, 2004 - 07:24 AM

How far up the hill where you?

• Birdmove

Posted November 21, 2004 - 09:32 AM

I haven't had any real dirt wipeouts sfor many years, but had lots as a kid riding various trails. I noticed a strange effect of dirt bike wipeouts: time slowed down. For instance-as I was riding down the dirt road and tryed to doge a large mud puddle by going around it and hit a small tree with the right side of my handle bar sending said bar to full lock to the right very suddenly.As I was off the bike flying through the air, it seemed like I had all kinds of time to reflect on my poor decision of going around that puddle.And then, of course, I began thinking about how much it was going to hurt as I my body contacted the hard dirt, rocks, etc when I did finally land. Then, as always, I began worrying about if I would doany damage to my motorcycle, etc., etc.
Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just a bit "round the bend"?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAM2R

Posted November 21, 2004 - 09:53 AM

Happened near the bottom third of the hill. Just a little transition where it got slightly steeper near some roots. The visual part was fun as my bike was fully airborne inverted going over me as I had landed on my back. Good thing that It cleared me. The bike hit the dirt and slid a little but stopped quick enough that I rolled up over it as I did a 3/4 sommersault backwards down the hill - I wish that someone could have gotten it on video.

• sgifford

Posted November 21, 2004 - 11:26 AM

I've experienced the same thing many times (time slowing down). It seems the brain goes into a different mode during the wipe-out.

Once I was going down a steep hill and for some unknown reason I decided to wheely over a rut that angled across the hill. (I didn't hit it straight.)

As I was flying down the hill beside my bike, I had time to distinctly think "That was dumb." and "I know the bike is beside me. I hope it doesn't land on me."

It's an interesting experience!

Seldon

• socalxr650

Posted November 21, 2004 - 02:50 PM

I haven't had any real dirt wipeouts sfor many years, but had lots as a kid riding various trails. I noticed a strange effect of dirt bike wipeouts: time slowed down. For instance-as I was riding down the dirt road and tryed to doge a large mud puddle by going around it and hit a small tree with the right side of my handle bar sending said bar to full lock to the right very suddenly.As I was off the bike flying through the air, it seemed like I had all kinds of time to reflect on my poor decision of going around that puddle.And then, of course, I began thinking about how much it was going to hurt as I my body contacted the hard dirt, rocks, etc when I did finally land. Then, as always, I began worrying about if I would doany damage to my motorcycle, etc., etc.
Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just a bit "round the bend"?

I think we all have been there. My experience was while on a banshee.

We had been hitting a jump all day and flying off of it. We had been hitting it 2d pinned, for God knows what reason, I hit it the last time in 4th and pinned. Long story short, I was about 12-15 feet up, fixing to land on the flat bottom, and actually had enough time to debate with myself, should I let this thing go and risk breaking legs, or hang on and let the suspension soak up as much as it could.

I opted for hanging on, and the guy who taught me to ride was in the back of my mind saying, "when in doubt, gas out!"

I managed to keep the bike wheels side down, but pulled my back in a bad way, thank God that is all that happened!

• AZBURP

Posted November 21, 2004 - 04:09 PM

Time slowing down, an all to familar feeling.
I remeber once flying off the bike and wondering what I was having for dinner :cry: :cry:

• KEVXR416

Posted November 21, 2004 - 04:23 PM

I've experienced the same thing many times (time slowing down). It seems the brain goes into a different mode during the wipe-out.

Many of time's myself :cry: :cry: and it alway's seem's yer holding on with one hand on the handle bar thinking I can save it :cry: :cry:
Or yer thinking.................................. I'm gonna die :cry: :lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.