Weight- Don't Knock Stock!!

8 replies to this topic
  • simch

Posted November 20, 2004 - 07:32 AM

I have a wr450 04. Its a great bike, but I reckoned it could lose a few pounds, (as could I!) so went about changing a few items for aftermarket "lighter" ones. The std exhaust can went, replaced by a titanium akropovich one, that wakes the dead now! It sis indeed save a few pounds, but not as much as I thought it would.

I junked a load fo the liht brackets and indicators etc and shaved a few pounds there. Then I decided to treat myself, to a new set of tripple clamps and tag t2 bars.

Just stripped off the old top clamp and offered up the RG3 I got for it! &%$#@!, the standard clamp is WAY lighter than the RG3!! OK I am sure I have strength benefits perhaps, and there is the rubber mounting, but I am amazed at how light the std clamp is! Is it mag ally or just cheap and light!

Morale is, don't knock stock!! :cry:

• AkRider

Posted November 20, 2004 - 06:11 PM

The aftermarket clamps are always heavier. They are just stronger and some are adjustable.

• Mats

Posted November 21, 2004 - 07:49 AM

I took some weight of mine,,,

Scrap the starter and the battery, who needs electric start on a 450 :cry:

• simch

Posted November 21, 2004 - 08:05 AM

nooooo! I love the button!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 23, 2004 - 03:06 PM

I took some weight of mine,,,

Scrap the starter and the battery, who needs electric start on a 450 :cry:

i hear ya brother! saved almost 14 lbs all together. when you add a rekluse clutch for stall protection,you got it made :cry: takin' out the battery also allows the use of a yz airbox,way better flow and 2 lbs lighter!

• youngr24

Posted November 23, 2004 - 08:31 PM

The pipe was a start. Loose the rear finder and use the YZ finder. Also take off the OD. This will help a little more.

• simch

Posted November 24, 2004 - 03:17 PM

Fender went a while back, trailtech is ordered to go wiht the RG3s!

Id the YZ airbox really 2lbs lighter?? Seems like a lot!

• ncmountainman

Posted November 25, 2004 - 09:51 AM

sure is ! :cry:

• simch

Posted November 25, 2004 - 11:08 AM

I will be keeping the lecky boot, but I remember seeing a thread on a smaller lighter battery?? Anyone got the link?? I seem to remember the battery was REAL cheap!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.