Red Hot Head Pipe!!! RED!!

46 replies to this topic
  • 4Stroke4Life

Posted November 19, 2004 - 07:47 AM

Hey whats up guys, i 've been away for awhile, but check this out.
i went to glamis last weekend, my bike ran tits all weekend, i came home, washed my bike up, started it and let it idle for about 30 seconds. then gave it a little gas, i was off the bike so i was looking at the headpipe, right at the exaust port, the pipe was glowing red hot. so obviously i shut er' down. what the hell??? is what i was sayin'. anyone have any ideas?? my cylinder head was not hot, nor the case. just the pipe. anyway. thanks for any input guys

• motobrain000

Posted November 19, 2004 - 08:00 AM

Yea thats pretty scary stuff, although it is perfectly normal. They run hot, I dont let mine idle very long. I think if you were to search you would find alot more on this. One member use it to start his campfire by lighting a twig off the red spot. That pipe is very thin material.

• MX2Havasu

Posted November 19, 2004 - 09:09 AM

Completly normal. Once you rev up the bike, the flow of exhaust will actually cool down the pipe internally.

• grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2004 - 09:47 AM

Totally normal. Surprised you haven't seen it before. Your cyclinder head has so many valves in it that there is almost no direct contact between the combustion chamber and the engine coolant, so a lot of heat leaves through the exhaust port for lack of an alternate route.

• John407

Posted November 19, 2004 - 09:55 AM

It still scares the crap out of me!

• grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2004 - 10:48 AM

Just don't put your leg (etc.) against it!!! :cry:

• Mack_10

Posted November 19, 2004 - 11:50 AM

Completly normal, just watch ur skin on it......... :cry:

• ThumpDave

Posted November 19, 2004 - 04:03 PM

hehe Normal...posted that same questions last year.

If it's super red may be running a little lean with the cooler weather.

• Scooter426

Posted November 19, 2004 - 04:26 PM

check it out at night sometime.....
looks pretty cool in the dark.

• Davidyz450

Posted November 19, 2004 - 07:25 PM

It's gets so red because of how thin the head pipe is. It's a weight saving to have it so thin. But the exhaust gases are extremely hot on a 4 stroke. Perfectly normal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elsinoredaze

Posted November 19, 2004 - 08:10 PM

After seeing the same thing I put a digital thermometer on the red part of the pipe... measured 545 degrees.

• tom_dappert

Posted November 19, 2004 - 10:50 PM

Please use the search engine before asking these ever so redundant ????

• MotoX352

Posted November 19, 2004 - 10:52 PM

Completly normal. Once you rev up the bike, the flow of exhaust will actually cool down the pipe internally.

Lol this is totally wrong... the heat from the exhaust will constantly make it hotter it isn't going to cool by itself. You have to have wind flowing over the pipe to cool it down. But i have checked the running temp while idling at a stop and it runs right around 850 - 900 degrees depending on your jetting at a dead stop. I used one of those infrared tools used by air conditioning guys to check temps coming out of your vents. Then i did it while riding and it is about 250 degrees cooler. Anyways thats probably why you didnt notice it while you were riding. when you stop it will turn red from no air flow over the pipe. But all in all it is completely normal to see your pipe glow red! Lol i think its cool to watch it glow! :cry:

• BC3

Posted November 20, 2004 - 10:49 AM

Spiders scare me........sometimes my wife... :cry:
The exaust pipe deal is like everyone is sayin' [COLOR=Blue]NO BIGGY[/COLOR]
Now if it turns white and melts off..... :cry: I would worry on that one :cry:

BC :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2004 - 11:03 AM

This kind of response annoys me. The original poster joined 2 months ago, and has only 38 posts. How would he know if it's been beaten to death or not? Even if he was a Gold member, he might have just dumped his last XR for a YZ.

If you know the answer, give it. If the redundancy of the thread ranckles you, don't read or participate in it.

Sorry to pick on you, but that's how I see it.

• BC3

Posted November 20, 2004 - 11:18 AM

Hes right, come on BRO help a new member out with an experiance or just
info. you have collected....No need to be hard noised.....

BC :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted November 20, 2004 - 12:43 PM

I agree, people just need a little common sense and to work a little instead of just trying to have everything handed to them.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2004 - 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by tom_dappert

I agree, people just need a little common sense and to work a little instead of just trying to have everything handed to them.

Then what is the reason for having a discussion forum at all? We could just put in a link to ThumperFAQ and make everybody search for their own answers. Next question you ask, I'll want to know if you did your search first, that work for you? :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted November 20, 2004 - 01:42 PM

Then what is the reason for having a discussion forum at all? We could just put in a link to ThumperFAQ and make everybody search for their own answers. Next question you ask, I'll want to know if you did your search first, that work for you? :cry:

You don't get my point, please refer to the last line in my sig! :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2004 - 01:49 PM

You said you agreed that the poster should have searched first, then asked. I disagree. If that's not what you meant, you shouldn't have said it.

I also happen to thoroughly disagree with the last line of your signature, in general.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.