Who has the lightest WR450

7 replies to this topic
  • barefootbob

Posted November 18, 2004 - 03:34 PM

I have a 04 WR450 I love my bike :cry: but after riding my buddys crf450 I'm wondering how can I shed some weight and make some adjustments to get that light fealing :cry: I know that crf450 is a lighter bike but when you ride it it feals lighter than it realy is.What parts to use and where do I send my suspention what exhaust is light Quit and adds power.HELP! so much mud so little time :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 18, 2004 - 07:28 PM

i've got mine down to 249 lbs wet w/out gas now this is coming from 262 lbs stock wet w/out gas. there are several controversial things i've done to attain this weight,the big one being total starter removal , also removing the overflow tank and putting on a 1.6 kg cap seemed to draw some negativity. but there are many things you can do,like a light weight exhaust not only power gains but my power core 4 was 5 lbs lighter than stock! you can go to the yz rear fender thats worth over 2 lbs. the ironman sprocket is 1 lb less than stock ,that useless odo that takes forever to reset ,over a lb(including the cable,just silicone the hole) removing the starter and all the crap was almost 14 lbs and after battery removal you can then use the yz airbox (only $50) and thats another 2 lbs. i've also added around 7 lbs of extras(gaurds etc.) so technically you could go down to 242 its probably about as low as you could go and still function normally. there are other more expensive ways (titanium springs,and axles-bolts) but unless your racing thats gettin' kinda out there! :cry:

• wr_power

Posted November 19, 2004 - 12:35 PM

You can also loose the headlight and replace your sub-frame with one from a yzf, it's aluminum instead of steel. Good luck!

• tom_dappert

Posted November 19, 2004 - 10:45 PM

Yeah. 03 YZ450F. Headlights are for people who can't see. Good Luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 23, 2004 - 03:22 PM

the headlight was one place i didn't want to lose weight! not only does it act as a buffer for the regulator, after having to come out of the woods in the dark a couple times you kinda appreciate it! i am looking at the ufo headlight which seems alot lighter anyone know what one weighs? and the 03-04 already have the aluminum subframe.

• 98esten

Posted January 28, 2005 - 10:56 AM

the headlight was one place i didn't want to lose weight! not only does it act as a buffer for the regulator, after having to come out of the woods in the dark a couple times you kinda appreciate it! i am looking at the ufo headlight which seems alot lighter anyone know what one weighs? and the 03-04 already have the aluminum subframe.

did you put anything in place of the Battery? I took mine out of my 250 and it does fine.

• RussVCHSS

Posted January 28, 2005 - 11:49 AM

Use the gas cap mod... Remove gas cap and hold in hand....roll WR about 10 feet forward from where you are standing. Go back to original place where you were standing. Now have a friend roll a YZF up to you. Put gas cap on YZF and ride that.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 28, 2005 - 02:52 PM

did you put anything in place of the Battery? I took mine out of my 250 and it does fine.

no just took it out and grounded the ground strap,since that post i have removed the headlight with no ill effect. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.