Too Loud?

10 replies to this topic
  • AZBURP

Posted November 18, 2004 - 12:14 PM

I have a XR650R uncorked with white bros. e-series s bend. I am looking into racing hare scrambles ( never raced before) and have noticed that ama sponsored races are requiring a 96 decibal rule
I was wondering if anyone knows if my bike would pass or how to get it tested. I dont want to pay the entry fee then fail tech
Any other info for getting started racing would be great.
I appreciate any help

• TimBrp

Posted November 18, 2004 - 12:42 PM

You won't pass. I'm guessing that things around 101-102db. I'm sure White Bros. makes a quiet insert for it. Give them a call. If you pay the entry fee and then fail tech, at least you've made a contribution to a good cause..

• zx7rye

Posted November 18, 2004 - 01:11 PM

Cut off a section of bicycle inner tube and attach to the end can and attach with a clamp. Muffles the sound to pass the db test.

• AZBURP

Posted November 18, 2004 - 02:01 PM

You won't pass. I'm guessing that things around 101-102db. I'm sure White Bros. makes a quiet insert for it. Give them a call. If you pay the entry fee and then fail tech, at least you've made a contribution to a good cause..

It would be a good cause, but it would kill me not to be able to ride.

White bros. does make a quiet core but they say it reduces the noise anywhere from 3-6 db so I was wondering how I could get it tested.

• JackAttack

Posted November 18, 2004 - 03:31 PM

I just had my BRP sound checked at a AMA Hare Scramble in AZ, a couple weeks ago.

I have a White Bros. E-series w/12 disks.

It tested at idle at 90db. No problem.

I also passed an AMA National Enduro sound test(he would not tell me the #, just said it passed.)

What hare scramble races in AZ are you considering?

:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AZBURP

Posted November 18, 2004 - 04:19 PM

I dont know for sure. I know there is one scheduled for late feb. by lake pleasant. I was planning on showing up and getting info.

I have never raced down here (just a few motocrosses back in WA)
so I am kind of going on nothing, I dont know what class or whatgear they require.
any info would be great.

I noticed your in Tempe. Are you much involved racing?

• JackAttack

Posted November 18, 2004 - 04:54 PM

I do a small bit of racing in AZ.

The AMRA race in Feb. will be gnarly. I am expecting B-level enduro trails, except at a hare scramble pace. There will be few places to rest, except for rocky sand washes. Skid plates and handguards are a must.

Your bike should pass sound check no problem.

Where are you currently riding and what is your skill level?

• AZBURP

Posted November 18, 2004 - 05:02 PM

I am riding a 2002 xr650r uncorked of course

too be honest I dont know what level I am. I have been riding for about 10 years and I am much faster then anyone I ride with, but that doesnt mean much :cry:

I learned to ride in very tight technical woods so I can pretty much ride through anything but I done have anyone to really compare myself too

If I where to race I really dont know what class I should enter. I know I am not a beginner but I dont really no much more then that

• AZBURP

Posted November 18, 2004 - 06:50 PM

Sorry I thought it said what are you riding not where

Mostly I ride the four peaks/rolls, lake pleasant, and bartlett/pima@dynamite areas, you?

• JackAttack

Posted November 18, 2004 - 11:38 PM

I try to find some gnarly single track to ride on the weekends.

I will be riding with some old buddies on a semi-technical ride this Sat. at Pima/Dynamite if you are interested.

We try to keep the group down to 5 or less riders to keep the dust down.

We will be going on a 60 mile loop of singletrack, with a few hill-climbs thrown in. We will stage at 7am and ride by 7:15. PM me if you are interested.

• JRLR

Posted November 19, 2004 - 01:44 PM

I have a 02 XR650R with a WB-"E" with 12 disks inplace and the quite core added. WB tested my bike about a year ago and it just below 96dbs, at the time it had the air box opened, open intake with a 175 main & a 65s p. jet. They (WB) said that the 650s test at low rpms than smaller cc bikes. I felt that if it was close when tested at a riding site that I could just remove a few disks. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.