sand in oil filter

26 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2004 - 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dolce_Grappa
Has your frame ever been sandblasted and repainted?

DING DING DING DING >...folks we have a winner I think! Sounds like the most obvious (and overlooked) explaination.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• rasta

Posted November 18, 2004 - 10:16 PM

frame has never been sand blasted, original engine rod bearing failed after about a year of riding1 time a week, tore up bottom and top end, yamaha rebuilt engine for $1600.00, the next time bike was ridden engine seized after 15 min, all the right side engine bolts were loose and oil leaked out, bureau of auto repair investigated it and said it was caused by detenation in the cylinder top and bottom end, so ordered parts from tracys world of power sports and had friend rebuid it, no problems except for sand, corporate yamaha did not want to help me out in good faith, but it is grits of sand white and tan

• SureBlue

Posted November 19, 2004 - 12:41 AM

You can't get sand in crankcase unless someone puts it there. No matter what conditions you ride. Just guess how it gets there... or should I say who puts it there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2004 - 10:46 AM

bureau of auto repair investigated it and said it was caused by detenation in the cylinder top and bottom end,

Magnify it and look. Detonation, which is fuel related, can burn off beads of aluminum from the piston crown that will, as mentioned before, have the look and feel of sand. Under magnification, however, the beads will be basically spherical, if somewhat irregular, and look much different than sand does.

• walls

Posted March 13, 2005 - 10:54 AM

I bought an 2002 426f new and was on my fourth ride. I had previously done all the break in procedures and oil changes on my other rides and everything looked good. On the fourth ride we were out in an area that was wet and rutted out with water about two and a half feet deep. I stalled the bike in the water and tried to restart to get out. Before I restarted I made sure that the water was not near the airbox intakes. The bike started and I rode out of the rut. I rode for about ten more minutes and the clutch started to act up. I new from past experience that the symptom was lack of lubrication. I stopped the motor and found that there was no oil in the frame tank as the dipstick was indicating. Having done my preride check I new that my oil level was fine before the ride and there was no evidence that it had leaked out. I went home and pulled the oil filter housing of to find that the filter had actually been sucked closed because it was full of grey sand and wood bits from the rutted out water section that I had stalled the bike in. I pulled the case plug only to find that same grey color water and wood bits in there as well, and the frame tank too! I pulled the valve cover off and found bits of sand, dirt and wood bits all on the top end of the motor. I spent many hours flushing out the motor to rid it of any more debris and did many oil changes! I went to Yamaha and asked if this had been an issue with any other 02 426f owners but theysaid that I must have submarined the bike and pulled all that crap in the airbox. I new that this was not the case because this was one of the many things I had checked in my "paranoia" that I had destroyed my engine. The Airfilter was clean and intake runner had no signs of debris or condensation. I also asked if it was possible that water or debris could be pulled up the breather tube but Yamaha denied any problems. I still do an oil change every other ride (about 100 miles) and am finding some wood bits and dirt in the filter. I will try your hose routing idea . Has anyone else had this same problem that you know of? Thanks,

Pinned in fifth. :)

• mnm567

Posted March 13, 2005 - 12:32 PM

Are you sure you don't have a head gasket leak or such causing the coolant and oil to mix, or some type of moisture problem, resulting in the tan color. Plus you add in the fine metal shavings the use of the clutch produces and you might mistake it for sand. Try to compare it to a car. In cold weather, if you don't allow a vehicle to reach it's operating temp, The motor won't be able to get rid of the condensation due to the hot combustion and the cold block, oil, etc. The oil usually becomes milky brown! So if there is water, coolant, moisture in your crankcase, that could be the indicator. Just an idea. Matt

• WRookie

Posted March 13, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Most cast engine parts use wet sand as a mold. Cases, jugs and so on. Anything with a rough texture really. It is extremely rare but ocassionally the sand can stick into the metal surface and be released over time. If the sand doesn't match anything in your riding area then my guess is a casting flaw that slipped past quality control. I assume you are finding this in your current motor and not the previous two.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.