Can you convert a bike and get a tag in Florida?

8 replies to this topic
  • Loopep455

Posted November 17, 2004 - 06:07 PM

I am going to get back in the dual sport business and was wondering if anyone knew the rule in Florida. Can I convert a bike with a kit and get it titled? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• MotoMike14

Posted November 21, 2004 - 03:23 PM

GOOD LUCK! Unless you can find someway to get an out of state title, I'd say you're pretty much out of luck. My dad had a KLX650R and wanted to street it, but we had no luck at all. Never actually pursued it, but the laws are so tight to the point that it's pretty much impossible. Just buy a DR650 :cry:

• resslera

Posted November 21, 2004 - 08:22 PM

Floridia does sound like a bear. I tried to register my XR650R in Florida since that is where I register my cars (military). They told me no way, they do not register motorcycles that say "offroad only" on the statement of origin. Residing in Colorado however I was fortunate that they have do be about the easiest state. The awesome this is that my new Colorado title shows it as a a normal street bike :cry:

• RingKingPin

Posted November 21, 2004 - 08:36 PM

California, Washington and NY are the only states where you cannot do a dual sport conversion. If you get some numb-skull at the DMV saying you can't do it, thats just because he/she either doens't know how to do it or they are just plain lazy. That being said, in Indiana all I had to do was go to the DMV and ask for a an affadavit for a modified vehicle (as if it was homemade) and then get it signed by a cop to check off on all the legal parts. In Indiana all we need is a running/brake light, a headlight and a horn. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Baja Designs used to have a link for the requirements for every state. Good Luck. P.S. where are you in FLA? I'm driving to Orlando for work in Feb and am going to be driving down with my 650r. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RingKingPin

Posted November 21, 2004 - 08:39 PM

Never actually pursued it, but the laws are so tight to the point that it's pretty much impossible. Just buy a DR650 :cry:

Buying a DR650 is the LAST thing you want to do :cry: :cry: ! Just kidding, but you should pursue it. Just find out EXACTLY what you have to do, then DO IT! :cry:

• StuartV

Posted November 23, 2004 - 02:01 PM

I live in Tallahassee and I have a tag on my XR650R (which is for sale, btw). It's not hard at all. Theoretically, you just have to get it inspected and the form signed by a DMV inspector or a police officer. In practice, my 650 has nothing added to it to make it street legal except for a rear brake light, and they didn't even inspect it before giving me a tag.

• zx7rye

Posted November 23, 2004 - 02:20 PM

Floridia does sound like a bear. I tried to register my XR650R in Florida since that is where I register my cars (military). They told me no way, they do not register motorcycles that say "offroad only" on the statement of origin. Residing in Colorado however I was fortunate that they have do be about the easiest state. The awesome this is that my new Colorado title shows it as a a normal street bike :cry:

Why not just say you want a title only, not registration. Say you build these into $20k race bikes for out of country racing and customs requires a Title to prove ownership. They can't deny you a title...just registration...go back a month later when you get your title and register the thing.

• stkshooter

Posted November 23, 2004 - 06:33 PM

My understanding on the FL tag issues.

As of 2003 Florida requires ALL OHV to be registered. When you buy the bike new as of 2003 the dealer submits the paper work just like your buying a car. Also the MSO states NON-HIGHWAY USE and when you get the title it says the same. This means if you tell them to give you a title for a bike with the same serial # on it. The computer shows that # as NON-HIGHWAY USE from the manufacturer ( tried that) and they no longer allow you to convert to a custom built bike from what they told me. I called several diff. times over a 18 month period and was transfered to the same guy every time. I tried walking into DMV tag office and playing dumb but they said we can't tag this vehicle because of the NON-HIGHWAY USE on the registration/title and they confirmed it in the computer. This came from both the regional DMV and tallahassee when I tried to register. If any MSO has these words on it, FL will no longer issue a tag. If you grind the serial numbers off everything and say it is a custom bike with your own serial number and have it inspected. You may be able to pull it off some how. Myself, I'm selling the bike and getting a KTM which doesn't have this on the MSO. KTM is the only bike I'm aware of which you can tag a dirt bike from the dealer with no problems. But I'm sure that won't last for long.

Good Luck

• StuartV

Posted November 23, 2004 - 06:52 PM

I bought my XR650R used in GA. I did not get the MSO for it until later. I went down to the tag/title office (here in Tallahassee), in April, 2003, with just the handwritten bill of sale and a notarized Application for Title that had the VIN verified by a notary. They did a "Registration Only" and gave me a tag and registration, but no title. No inspection, no nothing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.