what is this gray wire"

6 replies to this topic
  • MXrider101

Posted November 17, 2004 - 04:21 PM

hi, i was wondering were i can find this "gray wire" on my dads 05 wr450f? I removed the baffale and i was looking at threads about the gray wire and i was going to cut it for him. Is it supost to help in performance?

thanks,
-Taylor

• smp2002

Posted November 17, 2004 - 04:36 PM

The gray wire is under the gas tank, it comes from the black box mounted to the frame in front of the gas tank, it is in the group with 5 other wires. I believe that when it is cut, that it changes the timeing so that it is the same as the WZ. I cut mine and made an improvement in power.

• lewichris

Posted November 17, 2004 - 07:14 PM

the only way you chan change timing is to actually take the engine apart and advance the cam. i cant remember if it is the exhaust or the intake. I believe it is the exhaust one tooth. not by cutting a wire

I dont know about the gray wire on the 450's but on the 400 it did absolutly nothing. It is all in your head. But cut away if you wish.

Chris :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Treebark

Posted November 17, 2004 - 08:21 PM

You don't have to cut the wire, I pushed one lead out of one side of the connector with a small screw driver and taped the lead up then filled the empty hole in the connector with silicone. If you do it this way and don't feel an improvement you can always replug it. I only felt a little difference in the performance.

• 450_James

Posted November 17, 2004 - 09:24 PM

I believe disconnecting or cutting the gray wire does change the ignition timing from the WR map to the YZ map. I did my gray wire at the same time as cutting the throttle screw so I got a bunch more power but how much from the gray wire I don't know. Makes me want to reconnect it just to find out.

Do all the other mods listed above and don't forget to replace the stock air filter with a good one. I haven't done my airbox/air filter/rejet yet. But I can't wait!

• cruise

Posted November 17, 2004 - 11:04 PM

my bike came wiyh the yz throttle stop.
after i broke it in i cut open the air box
& cut the grey wire it now goes & sounds
a lot better.

• bikepilot

Posted November 18, 2004 - 12:54 AM

the only way you chan change timing is to actually take the engine apart and advance the cam. i cant remember if it is the exhaust or the intake. I believe it is the exhaust one tooth. not by cutting a wire

I dont know about the gray wire on the 450's but on the 400 it did absolutly nothing. It is all in your head. But cut away if you wish.

Chris :cry:

He's talking ignition timing not valve timing. Two totally different things...
The ignition timing is changed significantly by cutting this wire. The advance curve reaches full advance quicker (YZ map). Don't forget to ask him first... woods riders and people that lug the engine alot may not want the quicker advance... :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.