05 wr450 need to do's?

24 replies to this topic
  • chiefsfan.58

Posted December 01, 2004 - 01:00 AM

Hi guys, I bought an '05 (my first ever "brand new" dirtbike :cry: ) and don't like the throttle stop it has. Kinda laim after riding my brother's '01 yz426. I've only got 30 miles on it so far but I know two things I'd like to do to the bike are the throttle stop and installing a yz 450 stock muffler on it (cheap). I am new to working on these things but can figure quite a bit out from pictures and instructions. Can anyone post a picture of the actual screw that needs to be replaced or alterred for me please? Once I do these two mods, (not sure if I'll need to re-jet from them or not?? :cry: ) I figure I'll ride it and see if I need more uumphhhhh. Any pics or help is greatly appreciated....
thanks

• wrooster

Posted December 01, 2004 - 05:37 AM

I am new to working on these things but can figure quite a bit out from pictures and instructions. Can anyone post a picture of the actual screw that needs to be replaced or alterred for me please?

95% of what is in the 250F FAQ
http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm
is directly applicable to the 450F's as well.

for example, the location and process for the throttle stop mod is here:
http://www.thumperfaq.com/throttle.htm

note that the final "cut" length of the 450F throttle stop may differ from the 250F type. you have two choices -- wait for someone to chime in here with what the overall length should be, or manually figure it out. for the latter, you'll need to push the intake boot off the carb -- this will let you see the slid move up and down in the carb throat. with the stock throttle stop in, you'll note that the slide moves just past halfway up. back the throttle stop screw out until the slide clears the entire diameter of the throat, but no more. mark or measure how much you backed out the screw -- that's the length you need to cut off of the end.

there is a good view of how to move the carb boot and look at the slide in the last picture here:
http://www.micapeak....c/throttle.html

it's not as complicated as it sounds, and will only take you 10 minutes to do. see the pics in the 250F FAQ.

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • patrickincc

Posted December 01, 2004 - 05:59 AM

Dont forget to open the air box, I also hear that the James Dean Jet Kit is a good thing. I am not sure because mine has not even been ridden yet, but this weekend it will be.

• Texas4play

Posted December 01, 2004 - 08:08 AM

The JD kit is a great thing! And the ZipTY fuel screw adjuster is a great thing!

• chiefsfan.58

Posted December 01, 2004 - 11:49 AM

I have been reading all the posts regarding WR400/WR426/WR450 . The JD Kit seems to be well liked by most. I believe this is a needle kit and not a jet kit......? I am definately considering getting it since it is not very expensive and also the fact that it seems highly recommended. Wrooster, thanks for the detailed post. I printed it up and bookmarked the pics and will be doing the stop-screw mod in the morning (gotta go to that bad place called 'work' right now...). I am getting a 2003 yz450f stock muffler today from a guy at work, is that year too early to work on my '05? Anyone?... if anybody knows it will work I am more than likely gonna go buy the Pro Moto Billet spark-arrestor with silencer tommorrow. Hopefully with all the advice and reccomendations I get from this forum and its experienced members, my bike will be just the way I like it by the new year. Thanks in advance all for the help/advice. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.