05 wr450 need to do's?

24 replies to this topic
  • liv2ride

Posted November 17, 2004 - 01:43 PM

i've got an 05 wr450 being put togeather and would like to know what the rest of you w/ 05's are doing as far as the grey wire mod, smog tube, stock silencer....

• r_dawg1021

Posted November 17, 2004 - 02:58 PM

Just a guess but I think it might be similar to what the '03-'04 guys did as well. The bike hasnt evolved that much, my guess is '05 guys are doing the free mods and the 'normal' upgrades. This is comiing from an '04 guy so it might not mean much :cry:

• smp2002

Posted November 17, 2004 - 04:40 PM

Cut the gray wire, Cut the throttle stop screw and pull out the cork in the tail pipe.

Posted November 17, 2004 - 05:30 PM

Cut the gray wire, Cut the throttle stop screw and pull out the cork in the tail pipe.

AMEN! :cry:

• BURLEY

Posted November 17, 2004 - 06:58 PM

Here is what I did. "Pulled" the grey wire. Removed the airbox snorkle and cut out the right side pre marked holes. YZ trottle stop. Installed a Pro Circuit Type 496 pipe. 48 main, 172 pilot. Here is the cool part. I have been working on a way to remove the air infector system using a tubing plug etc, but can't find the right size plug. I will remove this contraption soon and post the results. BUT IN THE MEAN TIME.....I want to ride the bike right? So I am doing some jetting work and fiddling with the fuel screw (ZIP TY...a must buy!) And I have serious backfire on decel and I pinch the hose the runs from the AIS to the head pipe (via the tube that runs along the head) and it stops backfiring! Runs great. So I take a cork and shave it down and shove it in the hose, zip tied it to make a good seal and WHAM...no backfire. It blocks the entire circuit. Runs awsome. Try it.

• thumperjp

Posted November 17, 2004 - 07:14 PM

"Cut the gray wire, Cut the throttle stop screw and pull out the cork in the tail pipe. "

And make hole on the air box and remove snorkel and change needle and slow jet.
Don't remenber to remove air induction system, too. :cry:

• thumperjp

Posted November 17, 2004 - 07:32 PM

"Cut the gray wire, Cut the throttle stop screw and pull out the cork in the tail pipe. "

Don't forget to remove air induction system, too.

• Texas4play

Posted November 18, 2004 - 09:41 AM

Don't forget to remove air induction system, too.

thumperjp,

do you have a clean way of removing the air induction system ?

• liv2ride

Posted November 18, 2004 - 12:22 PM

thanks all for the suggestions!! i already have the jets, need to buy the zip ty fuel screw it was mainly the air induction stuff that had me intimidated.

• wakin

Posted November 18, 2004 - 03:06 PM

Put a YZ rear fender on it=)

What are you doing with your 03'?

Don't forget the Yosh pipe!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chipwich

Posted November 18, 2004 - 03:42 PM

cut out the right side pre marked holes.

man, i don't know about cutting those holes. this year we've had some rain and mud, but the airbox does a pretty good job of keeping the filter dry and clean. i removed my snorkle, but left the holes. guess i'm down a pony or 2 :cry: rather have that than a muddy airbox, but looks like i'm the exception round here.

Posted November 18, 2004 - 04:46 PM

I left my air box alone because I'm scared of getting crap in it too. I don't mind being 1 hp or 2hp less......

• thumperjp

Posted November 18, 2004 - 07:46 PM

I don't know clean way. I took all system( pump and hoses ) off and just pulg! It works well!

• DEZRCR

Posted November 19, 2004 - 12:56 PM

Thumperjp, what did you plug the hole with on the exhuast side of the head?

• Texas4play

Posted November 19, 2004 - 01:39 PM

I'm curious too because with that air monster in the way makes it hard to adjust rear suspension (sag).

• thumperjp

Posted November 19, 2004 - 06:38 PM

Thumperjp, what did you plug the hole with on the exhuast side of the head?

I used exhaust side turip of stock pipe. I cut it about 20mm from turip and vise it. Done!! I spend any money for my WR. It's really free mod. :cry:

• mark2025

Posted November 24, 2004 - 04:16 PM

Can you please post a pic of your AIS mod. I just purchased an 05 and want to remove mine also.

• tdd6405

Posted November 25, 2004 - 10:27 AM

retard the exhaust cam timing one tooth for yz450 timing. its more mid and top end power. if you use the real low end torque more though, just leave it where its at. changing the cam timing will also need a change in jetting

• thumperjp

Posted November 25, 2004 - 03:40 PM

Can you please post a pic of your AIS mod. I just purchased an 05 and want to remove mine also.

It looks I can't add any pictures on my post. :cry:

• mark2025

Posted November 25, 2004 - 06:14 PM

If you want to email me the pics, I would be happy to host them with a link mark2025@gmail.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.