Taskers Gap, VA work party - Let's open Edinburg Gap Trail!

18 replies to this topic
  • oldbuck

Posted November 17, 2004 - 05:57 AM

While I'm relatively new here to TT, I know many of you, like myself, are long time riders of the Taskers Gap Trails.

As many of you may be aware, the USFS closed an important quarter mile connector trail in the Taskers Gap ATV trail system from the parking lot to the Taskers Gap Road.

At the same time they built a bypass trail but never quite completed it. This is the new Edinburg Gap Trail (#494) on the map (http://www.nvtr.org/taskers.html) and it is virtually impassable due to a rock section that only the most accomplished riders can negotiate. The trail needs about 150 yds of tread work to make it more beginner-rider friendly.

NVTR is in the process of negotiating with the Lee District to upgrade this "new" trail. We're thinking 6-10 utility ATVs hauling rock and gravel might be able do some good on this trail. We are tentatively proposing working the first weekend of December (4th & 5th). A day working with prybars and sledge hammers preparing the base and a day hauling dirt and gravel to build the tread.

Without this connector, it's a punishing 6-8 mile run to get to the best of the trails in the system. I'll keep you posted as we settle on a date.

Please let me know if you are able to help out and specifically if you have (or have access to) a utility quad that we could strap a few 5 gal pails on the back to move some gravel into the area.

Thanks for your support!
-d

• t3w

Posted November 18, 2004 - 06:58 AM

I'm no where near being an expert rider... but I do have experience, and am not a newbie.

In my opinion, Tasker's Gap is one of the worst places to ride in the DC area.

You have to love rocks to enjoy these trails.

• jekylmtb1

Posted November 19, 2004 - 04:57 AM

That's a great idea and hopefully a couple of us can assit even though we don't have a utility ATV. Even though we rode that trail, improvement would definitly make for a safer trip back to the parking lot.

• philb

Posted November 19, 2004 - 04:48 PM

I enjoy riding at Tasker's Gap. I'll be there Saturday after Thanksgiving with a few friends.
Sometimes I don't come away thinking "What a great ride!", it feels more like
"We survived!"

• oldbuck

Posted November 21, 2004 - 08:07 PM

I like the price of admission there, and with the FS taking delivery of their new trail dozer last week, perhaps they'll be able to help out...

-d

• oldbuck

Posted November 25, 2004 - 04:52 AM

I met with the Forest Service Tuesday at TG - posted the plan on our web site - http://www.nvtr.org/tg_work_party.html and here:

Where:
We’ll meet at the intersection of the Edinburg Gap Trail & Taskers Gap Road.

When:
Join us for as much time as you can! We'll kick the work party off at 9 AM Saturday & Sunday. Please park along Taskers Gap Road – not in the main parking lot, and be sure to not block the road – parking can be tight in places!

Lunch for the workers will be provided by NVTR.

What we'll be doing:
We’ve met with the Forest Service and have tested the method for repairing the trail. Three of us worked on a 25 foot section for about an hour Tuesday with very good results. Essentially we’ll be laying stones onto the trail base to flatten the trail out, then using a small amount of gravel to fill the voids. This will provide the best longevity for the trail base. In areas where there isn’t a lot of rock on the trail base, we’ll lay down landscape fabric prior to gravel to help hold the gravel on the trail.

The Forest Service has generously provided pry bars, picks, rakes, & sledge hammers, as well as some gloves & safety goggles. Additionally, they will try and support us Sunday with their 6 wheel drive ranger with dump bed.

What you should bring:
Make sure you were good footwear - Boots are highly recommended. Also, since we're moving stones around, bring some heavy gloves. The Forest Service has provided us with some pairs of gloves, but mostly smaller sizes. If you have a favorite shovel, pick, or pry bar, feel free to bring it along.

Hope to see you out there!

-d

• oldbuck

Posted November 28, 2004 - 03:18 PM

How was your ride? We logged about 25 miles there today - had a great time. lots of streams flowing and the leaves have been pushed off the trails. Great stuff! :cry:

-d

• oldbuck

Posted December 06, 2004 - 07:00 AM

Twenty four volunteers showed up under beautiful weather conditions and contributed 196 hours of labor to move, haul, split, and place rock in the trail bed to smooth the surface and make it ridable for both quads and motorcycles over the weekend.

This was a major project as you can see from the pictures as well as the Slideshow. Many of the boulders were too large to move so we created a trail bed made of large stone and 'paved' up and over the big stuff. Most of the paving rock was moved in from the nearby hillside and we were able to break the tops off of some larger stones as well as eliminate some the trail side dangers using the sledge hammers. The Forest Service generously loaned the work crew hand tools, glove, eye protection, and a first aid kit (which thankfully wasn't needed!). Then the smaller cracks between rocks were filled with stone hauled in buckets from the hillside by hand, or on the back of quads when available. Here's a video clip of Don riding through the most difficult section of trail that previously would swallow a motorcycle front wheel whole! Now that looks smoooooth!

Note: If the links above don't work for you, point your browser to: http://www.nvtr.org/tg_work_party.html

It takes a real special commitment to give up a beautiful weekend and drive a few hours to move rocks of all things! A real huge thanks goes out to the entire crew who gave up their weekend to help improve the Tasker Gap Trail Complex and to those who had hoped to make it but weren't able - [B]THANK YOU !B]

The stone masons honor roll & Motrin mob:

Dale Beck
Doug A. Belleavoine
Ted Belleavoine
Dave Blodgett
Heidi Blodgett
Matthew Blodgett
Nicole Blodgett
Buz Brinig
Barney Burdiss
Wade Bushong
Joe Epperson
Forrest Higgenbotham
Grant Higgenbotham
Don Kirkpatrick
Rob Kirkpatrick
Elly Lundmark
Marcus Lundmark
Brandon Mcbarron
Joe Mcbarron
Alan Spade
Russ Thompson
Charlie Wade
Kevin Wade
Joe Westner

• jekylmtb1

Posted December 06, 2004 - 08:00 AM

That is awesome. I rode that section about 6 weeks ago and even though we manage to get through, it wasn't something I wanted to ride often. Now it looks super. Great job. :cry: :cry:

• oldbuck

Posted December 06, 2004 - 08:20 AM

That is awesome. I rode that section about 6 weeks ago and even though we manage to get through, it wasn't something I wanted to ride often. Now it looks super. Great job. :cry: :cry:

The Motrin mob really did an outstanding job - the photos don't do it justice! There are rougher sections of I66! If you ride from the parking lot down to TG road, you can just roll through like you're on a sidewalk...

A rider came through on a GGec when were just about done and just flew through the section! Made it look very easy...

• rgerhardt

Posted December 06, 2004 - 09:31 AM

I'm no where near being an expert rider... but I do have experience, and am not a newbie.

:cry:

I am not a big fan of Rocks either, however the fact that a trail does not play into your strengths as a rider does not make it the "worst places to ride."
As all of us love to ride, it is more important to come together and support one another in their efforts to keep open places to ride.
This type of negativity can only fuel the organizations that would love to kill this great sport/hobby.
:cry:

• oldbuck

Posted December 06, 2004 - 10:42 AM

Hey t3w, Where do you ride? We're always up for new ride spots!

We've also ridden the Cove, Rocket, Tomahawk, Eagles Bay, NCmotorsports, and HM this year - personally, I consider TG one of the only (legal) newbie rider friendly spots in the area (ok, HM is the friendliest).

• rgerhardt

Posted December 06, 2004 - 06:49 PM

Oldbuck-

How was NC Motorsports? Its about 3 1/2 - 4 hours drive for me and I have to pass several spots to get there but if its worth it I'm always up for something new.

• t3w

Posted December 10, 2004 - 05:44 AM

I think you are being over dramatic about my "negativity" fueling tree huggers.

Just because I think it's among the worst places to ride in the area, doesn't mean I'm condeming the place to ATV's (sic), or that I think efforts to improve it are not worthy. On the contrary, I believe it's great that folks get togther and make a riding spot safer and more enjoyable for the entire community.

It's just an opinion... and I stand by it. Traversing boulder after boulder and jutting shards of rock after another just isn't enjoyable at all to me. Although it can get boring very quickly, I prefer the run up Peter's Mill trail right across the road much more.

As to my favorite riding spots... I've never found anything better than the drop zones at Ft. Bragg in NC. Thousands of acres...endless types of terrain and challenges for everybody and anybody. Wish I could get down there more often.

• TheWeez

Posted December 10, 2004 - 06:09 AM

Oldbuck-

How was NC Motorsports? Its about 3 1/2 - 4 hours drive for me and I have to pass several spots to get there but if its worth it I'm always up for something new.

rgerhardt, I see you live in beautiful Chesapeake! I grew up in Norfolk and Va. Beach. My family still lives there and I've been scouting places to ride down there but so far I'm not having much luck. Are there any good "legal" places to ride close to Chesapeake?

Thanks in advance for any info.

• oldbuck

Posted December 12, 2004 - 04:26 PM

Oldbuck-

NC Motorsports park has a pee wee, intermediate, and expert mx tracks. They also claim 16 miles of trail - which is why we went there. There's a 'beginner' loop that's a little over a mile - it's tight and quick - we rode it quite a few times as it was a lot of fun. The big loop was 'swamped out' - it had rained for a couple days before we went and was not recomended for bikes but 4wd quads can get through. We took a look and agreed.. That cut the big loop down to 2.5 miles, which we also rode a number of times. like the beginner loop it's tight and twisty and mostly double track. 1st gear mostly with some 2nd.. There's an advanced section that's single track with some rooty off cambers and log crossings that were challenging. The terrain there is piedmont (red clay) and was pretty slippery in the wet sections (like someone dumped grease then poured WD-40 on top..). I've got pics, but looks like I haven't posted enough here to let me put them up...

We had a good time, but we only had to drive 30 minutes from where we were visting so it was very convenient. Cost is $30 annual membership + $15 gate fee each trip (first weekend is free). We were a little dissapointed we couldn't ride more of the trail, but we'll go back when it's drier. The owners are really nice and making lots of improvements - They have a big building under construction that will be a concession stand & shower/indoor plumbed toilets... Check their web site & forum - ncmotorsportspark.com - Jill, the owners wife was very helpful prior to coming down with track conditions.

• rgerhardt

Posted December 20, 2004 - 11:32 AM

[Quote]rgerhardt, I see you live in beautiful Chesapeake! I grew up in Norfolk and Va. Beach. My family still lives there and I've been scouting places to ride down there but so far I'm not having much luck. Are there any good "legal" places to ride close to Chesapeake?[Quote]

As far as legal go-hmmm-Actually Morgans Corner MX is a very cool facility. :cry: The owner is a great guy and it is friendly for all skill levels. :cry: He spends a lot of time grooming and maintaining the track. he often is adding new twists. It is about 20 min south of the border on Rt 17 towards Elizabeth City take a right at the first light and your there. There is also Currituck MX, however I havent been there in a while and am not sure what condition its in.

If trails are your thing send me a PM or email (gerhardt2@cox.net) and I will send tou the link to our club. There is a waiting list but at least it offers a place to ride about an hour from Cheezapeak. :cry:

• scottw

Posted December 22, 2004 - 03:41 PM

While not wanting to be over dramatic, I also feel negativity toward the place where the forest service or the volunteers put in their hard work is probably best left unsaid. I'm personally thrilled to have any place to ride, and free (and also partially maintained with tax dollars) is a bonus yet. Bouncing off those rocks just makes that late day blast down the peters mill fireroad that much more fun! THANKS to the nova trailriders for their hard work and to the forest service as well. The efforts of a few have benifitted us all, and while it often goes unsaid, it's not unappreciated...

• oldbuck

Posted December 22, 2004 - 05:26 PM

While not wanting to be over dramatic, I also feel negativity toward the place where the forest service or the volunteers put in their hard work is probably best left unsaid. I'm personally thrilled to have any place to ride, and free (and also partially maintained with tax dollars) is a bonus yet. Bouncing off those rocks just makes that late day blast down the peters mill fireroad that much more fun! THANKS to the nova trailriders for their hard work and to the forest service as well. The efforts of a few have benifitted us all, and while it often goes unsaid, it's not unappreciated...

Thanks scott - I'm with you - with 4 family members riding now and a big enough trailer to haul everything, and everyone. I easily burn $100 in fuel to get to any ride area, add $100 - $140 gate fee on top, and I can't do a lot of riding each month... Taskers entry fee is perfect IMO!

Our club held a ride there last weekend and we had a blast - the trail that trials riders questioned last month is now smooth and you can blow right through it. Wish I could figure out how many tons of rock we moved (by hand) that weekend - it was a lot. The forest service really appreciates our work and is trying to find a way to address other areas.

I'm really glad to be a part of nvtr and have the opportunity to give back to the OHV park!

-d

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Florida

College riders at USF interested in riding together by cwoods1

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southeast
  • 1 reply
Where 2 Ride

Club MX Training Facility

Croft Jones Road, Chesterfield, SC 29709, USA

Forums
Photo
Florida

Tampa Area Adventure Riders? by Bryan Bosch

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo
North Carolina

King nc , Winston Salem riders by RyanM89

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo
West Virginia

Hatfield Mccoy with son by GhostRider32

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.