YZ 125-250 airbox and sidepanels on a 426

9 replies to this topic
  • tad69

Posted November 16, 2004 - 11:03 AM

Can someone that has done this mod post pics or send them to me.

• Satch0922

Posted November 16, 2004 - 12:21 PM

No one has done that mod that I know of. It would look "rigged" if you get my drift. If that is ok with you then I am sure it can be done. IF you want a factor look......that is not the way to go.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2004 - 12:26 PM

What would be the advantage?

• JohnB

Posted November 16, 2004 - 01:38 PM

Yes... It can be done. I did it to my 01 yz250f. A few others on TT had done it too.

I'll get a pic set up on a link so you can view it.

The airbox and side panels bolt right on. The stock seat can be reused but, you can see the top frame near the gas tank. A yz seat can be used with a little trimming and it fits better and cleans the look up.

I didn't notice any power improvements. It did help with the air filter install/removal. It looks like a yz with a 4-stroke motor. And... you'll have a one of a kind look.

Here's a previous link.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted November 17, 2004 - 06:04 AM

'aremeantroy' did it on his 400/426 a while ago. He posted pic's at the time, it was a very tidy set-up. I have the parts to do it, but I wanted to use a white airbox, and i'm having trouble finding one at a fair price. The advantage is meant to be 1-2lb weight saving, and improved airflow, due to the larger airbox opening. You could probably cut your stock airbox (pic's were recently posted in this forum on how to do this.....) to achieve the same results. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnB

Posted November 17, 2004 - 06:29 AM

I sent you pic's of my 01 yz250f with the yz airbox mod.

• tad69

Posted November 17, 2004 - 07:03 PM

Thanks JohnB. That is exactly what I was looking for! :cry: :cry:

• tad69

Posted November 17, 2004 - 07:05 PM

Chris, What year airbox do you have? Personally I don't want white. I do believe that 01' is white.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted November 18, 2004 - 05:43 AM

JohnB, my airbox is (I think, because I got it used) from a '96 -'97 YZ125/250 2 stroke. It is black, and has an extra hole in the bottom of it??? The 'extra' hole is kind of an oval shape, about 2 inches long by half an inch wide. I have no idea why it's there, but it looks to me like it would let in water and dirt, so i'm a little reluctant to use it on my 426. If you have seen 'aremeantroy's pic's, you will see why I like the white airbox. His bike looks very sweet. :cry:

• JohnB

Posted November 18, 2004 - 06:13 AM

The 250f and 450f air box both have drain hoses for water. The oval hole at the bottom should have a cover. Kinda like a deflector. It'll let water and dirt out if it happens to enter from the top/bottom.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.