New grip install tricks

14 replies to this topic
  • gimprvr

Posted November 16, 2004 - 09:23 AM

I got the new triple clamp, damper and bars on, went to put the new grips on and thought i'd ask if anyone had any proven methods to make this pain in the ass job any easier? I already know I need to add MORE BEER :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted November 16, 2004 - 09:34 AM

I've found that compressed air blown between the bar/throttle tube & the grip will allow you to easily slide them on or off without damaging the grips. You can also use some sort of grip glue to ease the installation & help hold them in place. I've also had good luck with brake parts cleaner, a shot down the grip will let it slide on & when it evaporates it seems to leave the grip a bit tacky to help hold it in place.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 16, 2004 - 09:34 AM

There are many different ways to do this, we all have our favorite ways of doing it. My way is to open up a beer, pour grip glue or spray Super77 spray inside the grip and put in on as fast as you opened up your first beer. Allow to dry overnight. The next day put safety wire around the grips, it helps gripage and you'll look serious and cool all in the same. Make sure to clean out the throttle tube when your done, and use WD-40 to lube it, anything thicker will gum up the spring action.

Dan

• BrandonW

Posted November 16, 2004 - 09:54 AM

Plain old hairspray works good too.

Couple of quick blasts of that, slide it on, and as it dries, it works like glue.

A couple of strands of safety wire is also a good plan.

:cry:

• Treebark

Posted November 16, 2004 - 12:52 PM

I use Clear Coat paint.

• gimprvr

Posted November 16, 2004 - 01:02 PM

OK, I couldn't slide the little ****ers on, so I figured it out. It was pretty cold the other night when trying to get em on. I'll try again tonight and I'll throw'em into the dryer for a few minutes first to get them softened up a bit. Then I'll crack my first beer get out the wd40, hairspray, super 77 glue and saftey wire. Might as well get out the astroglide while I'm at it :cry:

• jbrooks26

Posted November 16, 2004 - 01:25 PM

If you are trying to push them on then you are going to have problems and blisters. Try pulling the opening apart to stretch it over the bar end and then pull it while holding the open end off of the bar surface. This will let the grip slide on over what ever adheasive you use. Make sure you let your glue dry before applying the WD40. Hope this helps.

Josh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 16, 2004 - 01:34 PM

Might as well get out the astroglide while I'm at it :cry:

That usually comes after the 10th beer..... :cry:

• gimprvr

Posted November 16, 2004 - 04:26 PM

That usually comes after the 10th beer..... :cry:

**** I remeber when it was fours beers. Dam tolerences I used to be a cheap date!!!

• craft

Posted November 16, 2004 - 04:31 PM

Ditto on the compressed air. It's ridiculously fast and easy.

• Mats

Posted November 16, 2004 - 04:47 PM

Make sure the grips are warm, close to hot, pour grip glue in them and they will slide rigth on. I used to have a cold garage before getting this and used to have to use a heat gun, worked great....

Mats

• gimprvr

Posted November 16, 2004 - 09:17 PM

Done, I must have been ****faced the other day because it was easy as hell today. I just slapped a little grip glue and pulled em right on in a matter of seconds. Thanks for all the Tips, see you guys in the desert..... :cry:

• scheffaa

Posted November 18, 2004 - 02:12 AM

im with brandonw hairspray is my choice then some safety wire

• spanner

Posted November 18, 2004 - 02:54 AM

i use the air compresser works good

• Parrot

Posted November 18, 2004 - 03:31 AM

I use tie straps. Take about 8 or so 8" tie straps place the flat side in grip, slide the grip on, pull out the straps.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.