YZ 450 Gearing

7 replies to this topic
  • Wayne_Thompson

Posted November 16, 2004 - 07:17 AM

Is it possible to add gears to a '04 YZ 450?

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2004 - 09:08 AM

If you mean, can you make it a 5 speed, yes, but it isn't cheap.

You can drop in a COMPLETE '03/'04 WR trans (both shafts, shift forks, drum, all gears: $750), or, you can do some machine work and use the complete '02 YZ426 trans.

• Wayne_Thompson

Posted November 16, 2004 - 06:47 PM

Thanks! I guess I will stick with the 4 speed. Not that I can use all the power the bike has got now.

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2004 - 09:04 AM

One of the things people overlook about the 4 speed is that it isn't only short one gear, it's also a wider ratio box, so it actually covers almost the same range as most 5 speeds. When people ask me if I miss having fifth in the desert, I usually say that I used to miss having sixth, too.

The WR box would make a little better play or desert bike out of it, though. I geared mine 2 teeth higher than OEM (by going to a 15/49 from a 14/48). That gives me a low gear almost identical to a YZ426, and about ten percent less speed in 4th than a 426 has in 5th at any engine speed. On paper (not taking tire slippage, etc., into account), it runs 81 mph at 10,000, and 93 at the rev limit.

The WR would give you a lower low, about the same second, third and fourth, with a big 5th on top. Might be worth $700 to do one day. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RAD

Posted November 17, 2004 - 02:51 PM

I believe there is a secret formula to make it a 5 speed without machining. If you just drop WR gears in it you may as well buy a WR.

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2004 - 02:58 PM

'Don't know why you say that. You would gain very little weight in the process, the engine power would not change, nor would the suspension and handling.

I don't think I would want the ratio spacing any closer than it is now, and it would be if the 426 box were used. Supermoto would obviously be a different situation, of course, but I'd be fine if the gear spacing on the 4 speed was wider even than it is. A little.

Low gear in a YZ 450 is nearly worthless now, as it is a little tall for trail riding the way mine is set up, and way too low for the track in most cases. My only doubt would be whether the slightly narrower gears can take the extra juice.

• yzf450jack

Posted November 17, 2004 - 09:24 PM

I put the WR gear setup in my yz :cry: I only trail ride The WR gear would not work very well MX ing 1st is to low and 5 is to high :cry:

• Wayne_Thompson

Posted November 21, 2004 - 10:34 PM

Thanks everybody for the input!

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.