Is this normal, or a little hot?

7 replies to this topic
  • HeadTrauma

Posted November 15, 2004 - 09:50 PM

Under suspicion that my bike was running rich on everything but WOT, I took the slow jet down from a 68 to a 65 and the screw from 2.5 out to 2. I kept the main at 158. I did a long 5th gear WOT pull to test it out and it seemed a little cleaner in the bottom/mid and seemed to fall flat on top(like usual). "Better," I thought until I saw this:

Posted Image

Its never gotten that hot before under similar conditions(long pull, cool outside). Could the jetting change and cold air have leaned it out enough to do that? I mean the plastic liquefied and started to run.

• big t

Posted November 16, 2004 - 10:25 PM

I've never seen that. I would rather it be running rich anyway. I would jet it like you had it before.

• rippinroche

Posted November 17, 2004 - 09:17 PM

I wonder what the piston looks like ? By the looks of the fender i think you might have had your self a major melt down .

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 17, 2004 - 11:09 PM

Somehow I dont think I cooked anything other than plastic. I bumped the main up to what I would guess to be ~162(I machined up a handfull of wierd sizes like .061", .0615, .062, .0625, etc). I guess I'll see if that helps. And why would I go back to the previous settings if they were also incorrect? It loaded up like nuts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted November 18, 2004 - 12:16 AM

I just thought you were trying to get the jetting spot on. You did not say what it was doing before you rejetted other than you suspected it was running rich. Some guys on here get pretty anal about what they do to their bikes.

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 18, 2004 - 09:34 PM

I just thought you were trying to get the jetting spot on. You did not say what it was doing before you rejetted other than you suspected it was running rich. Some guys on here get pretty anal about what they do to their bikes.

I am trying to get it right, but in a "winging it until I get there" kind of way. Before I rejetted it it ran really rich on the bottom, good in the middle, and maybe a hair lean on top. I dont spend alot of time in the upper rpms, so that was going to get attention after the slow jet. I have 65, 68, and 70 slow jets and everything between 158 and 170 for mains including the aforementioned half sizes. I'm kinda anal too, but as long as no metal parts melt or seize I'm not going to sweat it.

Problem is my riding areas vary about 4000ft (~2000-6000ft) and the higher I go, the rougher the bike would idle and the faster it would load up unless I had it wide open.

• big t

Posted November 19, 2004 - 02:10 AM

Sounds like you need an Edelbrock. It really helps starting and is easy to tune. Once tuned it is good to go even for high altitude. :cry:

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 20, 2004 - 12:34 AM

Sounds like you need an Edelbrock.

Yeah, but before that I need $400 just lying around. Its kinda fun sorting out your own bike anyway.

Its just as well since I got it running alot better today. The custom 162 was still alot too lean. I hate pulling the bowl, burning knuckles and soaking my burns with gas, so I went clear up to my largest main jet, a Keihin 170. I'd be in the same situation anyway; too rich and I have to jet down. Too lean and I have to jet up. Took it for a couple long 5th gear WOT pulls. No melted fender and my spit didnt dance on the fins(sizzled though, like it should). Pulled alot higher too. High enough to make me nervous about the headshake. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.