No spark

7 replies to this topic
  • hill5150

Posted November 12, 2004 - 05:47 PM

:cry: Help. The pig has no spark, checked the kill switch, unplugged, not the problem, the stator is producing a read on the ohm meter. Does and can the coil go out? The CDI? Does anyone have the resistsance readings for the coil to know if the coil is bad.The cdi readings? can you check it to see if it the CDI is bad? I'm confused. :cry: :cry:

• Metal_Militia

Posted November 15, 2004 - 10:44 PM

What year is it?

Have you checked the pulse generator to see if there are any shavings on it? This will cause the pulse to ground out and not reach the CDI.

• hill5150

Posted November 16, 2004 - 05:59 PM

I have not. Damn thing is in the shop.Tried everything. :cry:

• needsprayer

Posted November 16, 2004 - 06:39 PM

The High Tension wire from the coil runs between the frame and fuel tank. This wire has been known to be worn down at a frame weld point and short to the frame. I have a piece of tubing split open and wrapped around the High Tension wire for protection at that weld point.

This is just a possibility since yours is an older bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted November 16, 2004 - 11:21 PM

Been thru this nightmare with mine.I wound up putting a new CDI in it.Fortunately in the world of CDI's,these are reasonably priced.Mine was 168 CAN.As long as you are sure of everything else it might be the answer.I had also deleted my sidestand switch and clutch switch to get rid of any other possibilities.Good luck.

• bigtom17

Posted November 17, 2004 - 05:27 PM

Rotrod, was it just no spark that was your indicator. I have just entered into a problem. I got my bike working great, then dragged it 3 miles to a race and kicked it for an hour while the race went on without me. About every 10th kick it sounded like it was going to go but never did. Mine seems like it must have some spark. Someone suggested to me that it may be the CDI unit. Tearing bike apart this weekend.

• hill5150

Posted November 17, 2004 - 05:32 PM

Just found out it is the Stator new one coming tomorrow.Hopefully will be riding Sunday. :cry:

• bigmike61

Posted November 17, 2004 - 11:23 PM

I had same problem with my 95' 650L. Sometimes it would fire and run and sometimes it would just crank with no spark. Come to find out it was the CDI. I changed out everything(or the shop said they did). I would try the CDI. Good luck and let us know how it turns out... :cry:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.