How many beers will it take to

9 replies to this topic
  • gimprvr

Posted November 12, 2004 - 02:53 PM

install a new triple clamp and scotts damper? Just picked mine up. Can anyone give me any tips on install?. ie, "Dont do this", "Use this Tool" kind of stuff

Thanks in advance :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 12, 2004 - 03:38 PM

sounds like a two man job,better get a case!!! :cry: :cry:

• jerryls

Posted November 12, 2004 - 04:05 PM

Make sure all the parts are there. I took everything apart, installed the new clamp and tower, and then realized that they didn't send me the floating pin that goes in the tower. Wasn't fun the next day to go riding with all the shiny and pretty new equipment that didn't do squat. My (supposed) friends were ruthless too.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 12, 2004 - 05:25 PM

install a new triple clamp and scotts damper? Just picked mine up. Can anyone give me any tips on install?. ie, "Dont do this", "Use this Tool" kind of stuff

Thanks in advance :cry:

4 panadine forte, 4 Wild Turkey stubbies and a slab of Crown Larger should cover it :cry:

• gimprvr

Posted November 13, 2004 - 10:01 AM

sounds like a two man job,better get a case!!! :cry: :cry:

Here here :cry:

Thanks for the tips guys!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fryboy

Posted November 13, 2004 - 10:18 AM

When you mount the post make sure you do each of the cinch bolts a little bit at a time. Keep going back and forth until that sucka is on there nice and tight. Other than that I think it should only be a 4 beer job.

Fryboy

• ncmountainman

Posted November 13, 2004 - 10:33 AM

I think it should only be a 4 beer job.

Fryboy

it takes that just to get organized! :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 16, 2004 - 08:29 AM

I think you should pack your steering head bearings with grease while you have the top-clamp off. It's only going to take one beer more to do it.. Also, make sure you have a nice Mallet to gently slide the new top clamp on. Be careful not to gouge the pinch area of the top-clamp with a screwdriver, if you must open up the pinch area use a tire iron instead of a screwdriver, bigger is better.

Also, make sure that the steering head nut is properly adjusted, too much torque will hurt your bearing and not enough will give your bike the shakes.

Taking old bars off= 1 beer
Taking old clamp off= 1 beer
Packing bearings= 1 beer
install new clamp= 1 beer
mount dampner post and dampner= 1 beer
install new bars w/ new grips (might as well go all the way) = 2 beers (it takes longer than one could expect)

The way I look at it, it will take you 7 beers to git r' done... Have fun....

Dan :cry:

• gimprvr

Posted November 16, 2004 - 09:19 AM

I think you should pack your steering head bearings with grease while you have the top-clamp off. It's only going to take one beer more to do it.. Also, make sure you have a nice Mallet to gently slide the new top clamp on. Be careful not to gouge the pinch area of the top-clamp with a screwdriver, if you must open up the pinch area use a tire iron instead of a screwdriver, bigger is better.

Also, make sure that the steering head nut is properly adjusted, too much torque will hurt your bearing and not enough will give your bike the shakes.

Taking old bars off= 1 beer
Taking old clamp off= 1 beer
Packing bearings= 1 beer
install new clamp= 1 beer
mount dampner post and dampner= 1 beer
install new bars w/ new grips (might as well go all the way) = 2 beers (it takes longer than one could expect)

The way I look at it, it will take you 7 beers to git r' done... Have fun....

Dan :cry:

Thanks Dan, I appreciate it the tip. If you added about 12 more beers and the makers mark shots you'd be dead on!!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 16, 2004 - 01:40 PM

Thanks Dan, I appreciate it the tip. If you added about 12 more beers and the makers mark shots you'd be dead on!!

I'm comin over... :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.