93 xr600 Cam/rocker problems...HELP

3 replies to this topic
  • Torqd

Posted November 11, 2004 - 07:43 AM

I traded a Pensky race shock for a non running 93 xr600... it was said to have just died... prolly a cam chain... We took it apart and the cam chain had jumped time because he had the tensioner and cam guides in incorrectly... it tickled a few valves... so I put in some new Black Diamond valves and put the cam chain adjuster in correct this time... put it all back together and then tried to start it... and it would not run... started looking at a few things and notice that the rocker pad on the right of the bike or the one with the decompression tab on it is rolling on both lobes... intake and exhaust... it is like the pad was too big... so I ordered a new one incase it was the wrong on and it came in the same... so... I assumed you can swap rockers diagonally because part numbers are the same diagonally but not the one with the de-compressor... so when I did this the right rocker was correct but the far left would hit the rocker cover... so I am kinda lost... all I have is a xr500 manual... and I am not figuring this out...

Either I have wrong arms in the wrong places... a wrong arm all together... or I have an incorrect cam...

How can I figure this out... there are no part numbers on the cam... or arms if I remember correctly...

Any help would be appreciated...

I am hoping that I am doing something wrong that is common and someone will slap me...

one more thing... the space between the lobes on the cam are about 1/8 between the two right lobes... and about 1/2 between the left two lobes... this seems backwards being that the right pad is the biggest in the diagrams...

I know that my rambling will not tell the complete story but hopefully I can get the info wheel moving

Any help would be appreciated!

:cry:

• Torqd

Posted November 12, 2004 - 07:34 AM

Looks like the previous owner tried to put in an older cam... so I am looking for a stock 1988-2000 xr600 cam... anyone out there have one laying around that will let it go for cheap... also need the auto decompress and timing chain gear... thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • george12

Posted November 12, 2004 - 04:34 PM

I am having trouble understanding the problem, but would highly recomend Hotcams stage one as I put one in my 93 XR600 a couple months ago and got great power incresses all around and it comes with the gear attached.

• Torqd

Posted November 12, 2004 - 09:53 PM

thanks for the info on the cam... I was chasing down a problem with this bike I just got... thought it was a mismatched set of rockers because the rocker pad closest to the decompressor was riding on both the intake and exhaust lobe at the same time... and I chased it down to an incorrect cam... they had an older cam without the decompressor stuff on it... so I am thinking that the lobes are at a different offset... it seems to be that the added space for the decompressor stuff will move the lobes over enough to line up the rocker pads and cam lobes... thus the search for a 88-00 cam setup

thanks again...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.