Lifespan of a XR650R clutch......?

12 replies to this topic
  • Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted November 11, 2004 - 07:34 AM

Guys, I know the lifespan of a clutch has many variables but what would you guys consider an average life expectancy of our clutches based on normal wear and tear? 4k-5k? more ? less :cry:?

• Kritter

Posted November 11, 2004 - 06:41 PM

I got 1500 miles out of my first one...it got abused but I took it all apart and EVERYTHING was in spec...I dont know why it sucked so bad and slipped all the time.

I added a steel plate and put new fibers and springs in and its an ANIMAL now...

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 11, 2004 - 08:20 PM

I got 5000 out of my first one and it was still working great when I traded it in on a new one. The new one has less than 2000 miles on it and it is going bad already. Not sure why but it is covered under the extended warrantee so I should be ok. My honda shop feels it should not be going out. It was going bad before I installed the rekluse auto clutch cause it was way out of spec when I was setting the auto clutch up.

• resslera

Posted November 12, 2004 - 06:51 PM

What kind of oil are you guys using with only a couple thousand and the clutch going bad? Just checking because I used up the last of my Honda oil and plan on using M1 15w50 and want to avoid sippage if possible.

• Haggis

Posted November 16, 2004 - 06:11 AM

My bikes a 2001 XR650R and I am still on the original clutch. The bike has been trashed offroad for 2 years and is now converted to Supermotard and gets wheelied everywhere on the clutch and still works as good as new. Change old regular and warm the bike before wuppin its *ss.

• Rokatt88

Posted November 16, 2004 - 07:37 AM

Is this thing on???

MMMmmmmm....Clutch. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted November 16, 2004 - 03:16 PM

I did a about a 265 mile ride(220 the day prior), at the end of the day, the clutch wasn't grabbing until I let the clutch completely out. Seemed to me that maybe the clutch was just hot, "tired" maybe. A couple days later, changed the oil, no problems. Anybody have any ideas? Have 500 miles coming up for LA B to V and don't want to be stranded. I only have about 3k on the bike, easy miles at that. :cry:

• Kritter

Posted November 16, 2004 - 10:55 PM

throw in the extra metal plate...will be done and over with.

• TimBrp

Posted November 17, 2004 - 05:44 AM

My stock clutch lasted about 800 miles. I know, that's rediculous. However, upon inspection I had a cracked fiber plate. I don't know if that did it but my whole clutch basket and pressure plate were burned with oil. A dark brown tinge now resides on them. I must've severely overheated that clutch..? Anyone have a similar experience? I now have Xr's only HD springs and Barnett fibers and metals. Thing is damn grabby and squeeks on take off sometimes, especially on the street. I think I'm going to go with new springs and the stock honda plates this winter. The Barnetts seem way to grabby.

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted November 17, 2004 - 07:04 AM

What extra metal plate? Who has this? Purpose?

• TimBrp

Posted November 17, 2004 - 07:40 AM

Go here and look midway down the page. A good read. Pig Pen Clutch Upgrades

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted November 17, 2004 - 11:36 AM

Hey Tim, thanks for that. Good info. Sounds like my clutch is good to go, but this may help longevity. Thanks again.

CHris

• TimBrp

Posted November 17, 2004 - 12:05 PM

:cry: No problem. It's a great site to bookmark. Guy has tons of info on there. You don't see enough technical support for our pigs from real world mags and shows. So it's nice to see the stuff directed at them on the web somewhere....

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.