Have you checked your oil strainer lately?

20 replies to this topic
  • Moondogger

Posted November 10, 2004 - 10:49 PM

I don't mean the oil filter, I mean the mesh strainer that goes in the frame, near the frame drain bolt.

I did, it was clean.

• 5valve

Posted November 10, 2004 - 11:59 PM

I check it every 2nd od 3rd oil change..always clean
its ment to keep particles at bay that might fall into the frame reservoair when pouring in oil

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 11, 2004 - 08:14 AM

I have never seen anything in mine. :cry:

• SteadyEddy

Posted November 11, 2004 - 12:20 PM

Ill second that, never found anything in there :cry:

• mousemeat

Posted November 11, 2004 - 12:22 PM

I think we have a trend here. Mine has always been clean. I don't think i'll be checking it for a while.

• Rooster426

Posted November 11, 2004 - 01:35 PM

Well thats good because I completely booger'd up the bolt trying to get that damn thing off. And I even went as far as buying a new one from Yamaha ($30-ouch)for when I finally get it off. Now I hear that they are for the most part clean. I tried using vice grips, crescent wrench ect., I think I may have to buy a flange wrench to get the thing off unless someone knows a secret how to get that off?

• jbrooks26

Posted November 11, 2004 - 03:41 PM

Mine was painted on when I did my first oil change. Have you tried cutting the paint around the mating surface with a razor? Just a suggestions, hope this helps.

• Moondogger

Posted November 11, 2004 - 05:31 PM

I had the same problem with mine. It is a biatch to get off. That thing is on tight!!! I actually had to order a new one from Yamaha as well because I almost stipped it using vise grips.

Like they say, you need the right tool for the job. You need to get a 19mm Deep Socket. Pull the rubber hose off and the deep socket will fit perfectly around the bolt. After I got the right fitting socket, it was a breeze.

Yamaha should include in their service manual the size of the bolts. Not everyone has a fully stocked tool box and it would have saved me alot of time and money trying to find the right socket.

I'll probably check mine every 3rd or 4th oil change from now on. The most important time is right after break-in.

I hope this helps

• new2blu

Posted November 11, 2004 - 06:33 PM

I had no problems getting my screen off; just used a box end wrench.
My screen also stays clean.

• AkRider

Posted November 11, 2004 - 09:17 PM

Mine has always been clean. I think I am only going to check it once a year now. But I don't get to ride as much as some of you. My bikes been put away for a month now and won't come back out until March :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firezwr426

Posted November 11, 2004 - 11:57 PM

On really tight bolts I usally try to tighten it just a hair more before backing them. It usally helps break the bond between the threads, and saves the top of the bolt. :cry:

• Rooster426

Posted November 12, 2004 - 04:51 PM

good advice, thanks!

• trotters

Posted November 13, 2004 - 10:54 AM

mines always clean :cry:

• Maddog542

Posted November 15, 2004 - 09:48 PM

I've never even bothered to check mine. I figured if something made it past that mesh screen that the oil filter would get it for sure. I think you'd have to pour sand in the oil fill in order to get enough garbage in the system to plug that screen.

• sabin

Posted November 16, 2004 - 12:40 AM

The only cases I have heared of this screen clogged is from destroyed clutch friction plate. I check mine on every oil change without removing it. I use a little led torch and look thought the oil drain hole on the frame. You see just a little mesh, but enough to see if there are some derbis. Every time it is clean.

• ISBB

Posted November 20, 2004 - 12:07 AM

You need to get a 19mm Deep Socket.

You sure about this... i used a 24mm open end wrench on my 02 and it came off without any trouble... a couple love taps and it came right off... the biggest biatch of a problem for me is gettin the rubber hose off...

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 20, 2004 - 09:41 AM

Can you say knuckle buster? :cry:

• Moondogger

Posted November 20, 2004 - 03:25 PM

You sure about this... i used a 24mm open end wrench on my 02 and it came off without any trouble... a couple love taps and it came right off... the biggest biatch of a problem for me is gettin the rubber hose off...

I'm positive. I just changed my oil and removed the oil strainer again with the 19mm deep socket. It fit like a glove. Maybe the '02's are a different size.

• John_H

Posted November 20, 2004 - 04:25 PM

I was going to check the size, but my skid plate is in the way. I checked mine 2 or 3 times since I bought the bike in 2001. Never found anything.

• Math

Posted November 21, 2004 - 05:34 PM

I opened it twice the first season, never found anything there.

Now I'm checking it during the winter set up...just to make me feel better.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.